Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch pedal

ram

Hi all, need some advice on how to proceed with this problem.
I have hardly used the LC 80 in the last 2 years and when i have used it, it's been only local short trips so you can imagine my surprise when i got in today to take for the MOT, the clutch went straight to the floor with some force and stayed there. I had to pull it up again, when i checked the fluid reservoir, it slightly lower than the minimum mark so i topped it up and went back and tried again and it was the same, it went straight to the floor with a bang.
I have tried to look it up on the forum but can't seem to find anything similar so i don't think anyone has had similar problem, looked on youtube and only found 1 Australian video showing how to bleed the clutch system, so no joy there i'm afraid, it goes into reverse with a bit of difficulty.
I reluctantly(don't really trust them with the 80) walked to 2 local garages and explained as best as i could what was happening but the first one straight away said it was the clutch and the second one said he couldn't really say until he saw the car and suggested i get the car recovered to the garage.
Any one know a good mobile mechanic in or around london?

Hi - You said the fluid was low but was it correct when you drove it last? First thing is to check for leaks at the master cylinder (inside the car and in the engine bay) plus at the slave cylinder and pipes. Does the slave move the release lever at all, when an assistant presses the pedal? Have you bled the system through with new fluid - after 2 years of inactivity, it will need it (and also the brake fluid). I doubt the clutch itself is bad - from what you described, sounds like the piston in the master cylinder may be stuck forward.

Last edited:
It's a hydraulic problem, not the clutch itself. Bleed and if that does not work a new master cylinder should sort it. Check the slave cylinder for leaks as well. The pedal snapping to the floor is due to the mechanical servo just above the clutch pedal and it's normal.

Sorry couldn't post this last night as didn't know how to, enlisted help from friend
so this is what's happening.
will check the master and slave cylinder later on
thanks for the help so far

Yeah mine does that when there is no fluid so from that point of view you have a normal pedal. Most likely the master cylinder but the first attempt for a cure would be to bleed the system.

Hello Ram - we’re you able to get your clutch working? If so, wheat did you do?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These symptoms ime are seals gone in the slave cylinder.

Back