Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cold Starts What's Normal?

Toadshade

Country Flag
united_states
Last few mornings it has been in the 20'sF and a few days ago if I did not have my twin Group 31 batteries (Not sure what that is equal to battery size in the EU) I don't think my diesel would have finally started. Most of the time it starts up at half a rev so I wanted to know what is to be expected in cold temps. What is normal? Last year I was chasing an air leak and ended up replacing my fuel filter housing which worked like a charm. But by the time I fixed it, it was starting to warm up so I thought the problem was fixed. I might be chasing another air leak, but I wanted to see what I should be expecting from a properly working engine when it is really cold.

A flick of the key hot or cold. These are direct injection engines but have glow plugs or a heater matrix in the inlet manifold (might be worth putting you vehicle details in your signature?). Have you tried leaving the ignition on for a few seconds before cranking? As you say though half a turn and it should start, I found in the early days when I flew over to purchase mine it was a bitter February, and even though it needed new batteries it barely turned but caught and run.

Regards

Dave

Thanks. Forgot I hadn't added the signature line. I was under the impression that the glow plugs would not come on when the key was in ACC. I will give that a shot. But if it is supposed to crank the same way even when really cold, then I have a bad feeling I will be searching for a new air leak. Just felt exactly the same as it did when I had that air leak from the fuel filter housing.

As with the other Dave, literally 1/2 a second cranking and she's running, even sub zero. You need to turn the key to ignition, but not crank, for a couple of seconds in the cold for glow plug light to go off and you should be all good. The only time I found this hasn't been the case was when the batteries were going over and soon needed replacement. Hope this helps.

If you suspect air, then pump up the fuel before you try to start. The pump is on the fuel filter housing. When the air is gone, the pump will feel firm.
I had an air leak at the acsd device at the injection pump. Pulled it off and put a blank plate.

Starter motor has to work harder in cold weather .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Definitely going to try the manual fuel pump tomorrow morning. Great idea. I would assume that will give me an idea if there is air in there too. Not aware of a glow start in the 80's. First diesel I have ever owned that did not need a glow start. In cases like this I wish it had one. But I would like to know if that really does work the same on ACC. I do have the "snow version" so it has a fuel line heater. I think it would be great to have an indicator that tells me the fuel line heater is on. I suppose that wouldn't be that hard to do.

Most of the UK versions have the heater in the filter had, as I mentioned earlier, your model I can see is the 12 valve version so you have glow plugs, later models post 1995 IIRC have the heater matrix, this is known to fail due to the relay burning up under the battery tray. Yours will start still are in sub zero degrees C' The heater in the filter head has nothing to do with starting however, once the engine is running and drawing fuel through the filter it prevents 'waxing' and clogging of the of filter. So that is not your starting issue.

Lay a handful of kitchen roll under the fuel pump after the engine is switched off and leave over night, if you have a leak from the pump which will cause difficult starting then the paper will soon show up a leak.

I would go with a test of the glow plugs even if just to rule them out, then look for leaks.

Regards

Dave

Hi, you could also use the hand pump on top of the filter housing to find any pump leaks. Keep pumping once it’s hard and any leaks should show.
Mine will draw a small amount of air if left for a long period or sat at a funny angle.

Lay a handful of kitchen roll under the fuel pump after the engine is switched off and leave over night, if you have a leak from the pump which will cause difficult starting then the paper will soon show up a leak.
Great idea.
Using the pump was how I was able to find the housing leak.

Back