Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Confessions of a total TIT

Ecky Thump

Garage
Probably should have read confessions of a total tit who should have known better!!! :naughty: :oops:

Six or seven months back I had the telltale grinding noise from the back brakes so on my way home from work bought some pads to do the job.
All well and good, but when I took off the wheel I spotted a hairline crack across the face of the disc :thumbdown: .
Now this came at a time when I was really skint, so I decided to go with the flow and hope the disc would survive a little longer. Anyway to add insult to injury, the calliper turned out to be three parts seized aswell. Again I couldn’t afford a seal kit so I worked on the calliper and piston until it moved at least a little :pray: .
Now we go back to last week and again came the noise so again I bought some pads. I already had a seal kit ready to refurbish the calliper so the only issue was, what state is the disk in :?:

Now to add a little aside to this story. My mate is my MOTer and has been for the seven years I have owned the truck. He doesn’t have a rolling road to check 4x4 brakes so he always does this on a test drive. He has always passed my handbrake even though it is pants saying that it is good enough for him. As a consequence of this I have never bothered (in 7 yrs) to check the handbrake so have never took the disk off.

So guys, this is what you may find if you are an idle git like me; :roll:
DSCN5041.jpg

DSCN5042.jpg

DSCN5044.jpg

The back of the disc is paper thin and totally mullered :(
Needless to say, I think I have had the luck of the devil, and I will be a tad more studious in the future when maintaining my truck. This could have gone really pear shaped but very luckily for me it didn’t.
The really odd thing was, when I cleaned all the mud off the handbrake assembly it only needed a little fettling for it to work spot on (thanks to Chris for his 90 series handbrake write up) Nothing is particularly worn, it was just the adjuster needed a clean and reset. It does help with it being an auto because I never use my handbrake ;) .
Oh, and by the way, Milners rear discs are spot on for the 80. Unlike the ones for the 90 I have read elsewhere.

Attachments

• DSCN5041.jpg
    DSCN5041.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN5042.jpg
    DSCN5042.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN5044.jpg
    DSCN5044.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 69
Doing mine this week, i can get good prices on on the bits if you need any.
Need to do the callipers too as one wont push back far enough to get new pads in so doing a complete overhaul including new handbrake

Thanks for the offer Paul but it is all done. New discs, new pads and refurbished callipers.
Just need to get my brake fluid changed now as it's filthy which can't be good.

BLIMEY LES!!!

Chris :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Les,

You wrote, He doesn’t have a rolling road to check 4x4 brakes so he always does this on a test drive.

Well i'm glad for your sake he doesn't have a rolling road, you can't put a full time 4x4 on a rolling road without f*****g something up, your mechanic should know that.

Anyway glad your sorted now, i had an old transit with cracks like that all over the disks, think it's caused by over heating them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
joinerman said:
Les,

You wrote, He doesn’t have a rolling road to check 4x4 brakes so he always does this on a test drive.

Well i'm glad for your sake he doesn't have a rolling road, you can't put a full time 4x4 on a rolling road without f*****g something up, your mechanic should know that.

Anyway glad your sorted now, i had an old transit with cracks like that all over the disks, think it's caused by over heating them.
He probably does know.
I would imagine with my sort of driving and then diving into muddy puddles or rivers the discs get some real hammer :lol:

:shock: I took mine off a while back and they looked way better - but thanks for the post Les, it's good to have something to measure against!!

Servicing my front brakes next weekend.. Rears are all good for now :)

Back