Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Conversion calculation links

People at the BBC ought to study parts of the second link. They are always confusing "pressure" with "force" and so on. They also do amazingly ignorant conversions from metric to imperial by just changing the unit of measurement but using the same number. eg 7 kilograms = 7 pounds. I've seen them correct themselves later.

Can you still buy steel in imperial thickness ? I know brass was sold a few years ago when I needed some in both imperial and metric sizes.

What amazed me in Spanish ironmongers was that their pipe sizes are all BSP. Not a metric size to be seen.

I wonder if we will go back to imperial now we are out of the EU. lol.

Not sure if you can still order imperial from the main stockholders, but the place where I go locally still works in gauges and an 18 is 1.2mm etc…

Hope we stay metric, though I still tend to think in feet and inches and pounds and ounces.. The old way was drummed into me at school but much seems to have gone by the wayside somewhere along the line, I can still remember that a chain is 22 yards. Not too sure when that’ll come in handy again though.

I was surprised to see central heating boilers here showing BTUs, gas pipes too are threaded with BSP threads.

Conversely, they often sell liquids and certain sheet material by the kg, not lt or sq m as you might expect.

Back