Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Converting a 100 series to 105.

Onat

Country Flag
turkey
As am i say is it posible to do this? 105s are incredibly rare from my country and have a high prices. So what if i buy a 100 series and find 105s front parts (diferantials......) can i attach them to 100?

Anything is possible but what the labour would cost. I inow the chassis is different on the front of a 100 to 105 so its hard to say.

Would it not be easier (if either is ‘easy’) to mate an 80 chassis and running gear to a 100 series body? Then there’s the uprated 105 spec axle and steering components.
Sounds expensive.

With all the messing about it may just make a 105 not seem so expensive

İs there any technical draw of chassis from 100 and 105?

Google would be your friend there

Its no small job but is possible nobody here has done the work so id say you need to do alot of research and please post back and do a build thread to help.other in future.

Youd be better iff buying a 80 running gear and a 100 body and making that work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for your advice. I think if i find a donor 105from neighbor countries i can do that. I Will keep looking

Anything is possible when you have a money. If i want i can attach Unimog axles on 100 series. But this is not what i mean. What i want is a transformation project what will be carried out in full compliance with the original of the 105 series. An outside eye will not understand that this car was later converted to the 105 series.
And sory for my english guys i know its not good :)

In my humble opinion - what makes a cruiser great is that it is a simple Toyota design. If you try and mate 2 very different pieces together I think you might have an issue especially if you need parts in the middle o f now where.

The 100 series is a great car - maybe not as rugged as an 105; 80 or 70 series but still good.

My only disappointment with the 105 series is that it never came out with a factory Turbo Diesel.

There are a couple of people whom have managed to mate a 105 chassis and body with a HD-FT(E) engine - For me that would be the ideal machine.

Actualy im an Overlander. I have 87 Land Rover Defender now. I traveled nearly 20 country with it. Mostly balkan countries plus İtaly, Tunisia, İran. Azebaijan. Now im dreaming north. Siberia, Mongolia and Turkic countries. For this route i must change my Defender with Cruiser. Cuz def cant handle that. Thats exactly why i want 105. Cuz it is reliable strong more durable than 100series.

İs there any technical draw of chassis from 100 and 105?

100 frame
Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 15.05.35.png

And 105 frame

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 15.06.08.png

The 100 frame is wider so that it can fit the 4.7l petrol V8. It was also designed with independent suspension in mind, so it's far from a simple swap. For example, the shock towers are too weak to handle coils or coilovers, as it uses torsion bars. If you search for SAS on IH8MUD Forum - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] you will find several in depth threads on solid axle swaps.

Attachments

• Frame Diagram.png
    Frame Diagram.png
    719.6 KB · Views: 230
Does anyone remember a Portuguese or Spanish member converted a 100 series to 105 he was a mechanic and post was around November time the post included a few pictures of the workmanship of the conversion

I think this answers the question..... it would be impossible to convert a 100 series to a 105 series and it not be obvious when inspected..... you could put a live axle on it for sure but it will never be the same as a 105 .

The chassis plate would still state it's a 100 series ....

It would be interesting to see a comparison between a 105 and an 80 series chassis ...they are probably a lot closer ..

Is IFS actually that much weaker or limiting ?

The Aussie modified 200 series seem to do pretty well .
Probably better to spend less than the cost of putting a live axle on it and buy a properly engineered 2 inch lift kit including arms and diff drop from Fulcrum or one of the several Aussie firms that make proper off road kit .

Does anyone remember a Portuguese or Spanish member converted a 100 series to 105 he was a mechanic and post was around November time the post included a few pictures of the workmanship of the conversion

This one, Steve?

Is IFS actually that much weaker or limiting ?
I don't think it's weaker. I'm pretty sure I read the IFS drive shafts are thicker than 80/105. I guess the CV boots are theoretically vulnerable to damage, but they're quite well protected by the lower arms. The front suspension travel is pretty poor though, which can be a bit limiting. That's more a limitation of the 100 design than IFS in general. I think they improved it on the 200. Pro's and con's to both, as always ...

The 200 has the largest stock wheel articulation from all Land Cruisers so far. It also can be fitted with a long travel arms from Tundra which are bolton :)

The 105 and 80 chassis are almost identical. The body mounts are different. 100 & 105 can be swapped on the same frame. Usually it's a 100 frame on a 105 chassis, as all 105 trims are very bare.

Back