Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Council common sense what could go wrong .

Yes you haven't got any money so we can't fine you :think: i know lets spend some money making the problem worse :icon-rolleyes:

Well they've got enough money to get their drive paved and run a car, probably a wide screen TV and SKY inside too. I'm just saying if you want something you should expect to pay for it, there are too many something for nothing people these days.

Helen's nephew dug out his front garden and covered it in gravel , our local council told him he would be fined £1000 if he parked on it because he hadn't applied to planning and (if they accepted) installed a drop down curb . Maybe he should start parking on it to see if they will build him a garden wall instead .

The fine wouldn't be for the parking it would be for driving over the pavement to get there. Installing the dropped kerb is necessary because of services that run below the pavement so it has to be a sturdy surface.
As far as I can remember I didn't need planning permission just a dropped kerb,

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I needed permission for the drop down in my back yard . What i can't fathom about the story in the link is the council spending public funds installing bollards ?

It does seem stupid to spend council money on the bollards which are no use to anyone and if anything a hazard to pedestrians. They could have spent the same money on droppers and if they cost more, the householder should pay the difference.

Any idea how much they would charge to install droppers, I know it's a bigger job than that, they have to place concrete across the verge.

I needed permission for the drop down in my back yard . What i can't fathom about the story in the link is the council spending public funds installing bollards ?

Exactly my thoughts too, waste of money.

I expect different councils have different rules.

Regarding the installation of the bollards, we've only got one side of the argument in that article, although I can't think of one there may be a perfectly good reason for them being there.

I think that house is not just the part that has bollards in front of it, I think it includes the part that has a skip on the drive which does have a dropped kerb, in which case the occupants do have a parking area there's just a skip in the way at the moment. I reckon it's all made up about getting blocked by the bollards.

Last edited:
It is illegal to drive over the footpath so I'm glad the council upheld the law. Too many people think the law does not apply to them as in using a mobile whilst driving etc. The householder has to pay for the kerb to be dropped. Most people pay up and do the job properly to everyones advantage. If you don't have a dropped kerb this could damage the carriageway boundary and services, like your own water meter. Pedestrians will be more aware of cars crossing the footpath if they see a dropped kerb.

Think it cost me about 250 for the curbs but contractors had dug out for concrete already and of course they knew the planning official so 1 phone call and he arrived i paid about £70 and we filled out the forms there and then signed sealed and delivered .

More than waste money they have introduced a concrete reason why an amicable end will never be reached . Governance whether parental or constitutional should work to the greater good .

I'm wondering if possibly the bollards have always been there and the householders asked for them to be removed and the council said no, this could be their way of shaming them into removing them. :think:

Last edited:
Think it cost me about 250 for the curbs but contractors had dug out for concrete already and of course they knew the planning official so 1 phone call and he arrived i paid about £70 and we filled out the forms there and then signed sealed and delivered .

More than waste money they have introduced a concrete reason why an amicable end will never be reached . Governance whether parental or constitutional should work to the greater good .

Agreed.. :thumbup:

I had mine lowered and a couple of other folk at the same time as our road is narrow,but the rest just put wood in the road to get up the curbs looks a right mess and the council don't say a word,they must of been like that for 5years +.

I remember those L shaped steel sections placed in the gutters for people to drive over the kerbs and not ruin their cars suspension.

Those bollards look new to me. Not sure why the council have taken the stance they have rather than just repairing the damage and sending the owners the bill. I'll wager the broken flagstones have also been caused by vehicles driving over them in addition the the verge damage. The rules and regs that govern these things apply to everyone. The house owner says she offered to pay for the damage but it doesn't say wether this included the dropping of the kerbs. She also says that a lot of the grass verges on the street have suffered vehicle damage but this could be people just parking with 2 wheels on the verge as many do. Wonder what the council are doing about those?

Back