Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Current off road navigation thinking?

great discussion gents. Was wondering if anyone has found the perfect hardware given early posts were 2016 and stuff has moved on the in the tech world. cheers

I still use OSM maps on a Garmin device and Basecamp on a PC for route planning.

I’ve run maps.me in parallel to the Garmin a few times and although it’s great for road Nav it really doesn’t come close to the Garmin set up off road. I’ve also been looking for an an alternative for Garmins Basecamp to plan routes but it seems the world of Apps doesn’t proved the same functionality off line.

Garmins new Overlander unit looks interesting

I have a raspberry pi hooked to a small 11" display and use 'Viking maps' with an external usb GPS sensor (mouse?) - the whole thing needs very little electric. There's also a couple of other bits of software running on there, mostly to support and extend Viking itself.

Some assembly required, batteries may not be included etc... But it works well and had been very reliable. Added benefit that it can directly import Google's kml files, making trip planning and management in a shared group much much simpler.

Other than this, Ordinance survey have an app that allows for subscription based map access, so travelling in the UK, just subscribe for the months you need.

I still use OSM maps on a Garmin device and Basecamp on a PC for route planning.

I’ve run maps.me in parallel to the Garmin a few times and although it’s great for road Nav it really doesn’t come close to the Garmin set up off road. I’ve also been looking for an an alternative for Garmins Basecamp to plan routes but it seems the world of Apps doesn’t proved the same functionality off line.

Garmins new Overlander unit looks interesting

If you just need route planning, Google earth will let you build kml files that you can convert to gpx and import into Garmin.

GE isn’t very good offline and is also blocked in Morocco. Can’t even get directions via Google Maps due to the block

Hi

I have started playing with Gaia GPS. Its hugley popular in the USA. They now have a few eurpean maps available. I like the interface, very clean. I think in a bit of time this will become very popular. Great for planning routes.

I have also used OziExplorer, I'm afraid its stating to look a bit dated, also it seems like a right pain to get maps for europe.

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back