Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Current off road navigation thinking?

Hi Gary,
I use a CF-19 panasonic toughbook with a gps dongle http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/373686/GPS-logger-GT-730FL-S-zwart
And oziexplorer for navigation.
I did the west-east crossing of the pyrennees 2 years ago with the track of voyage4x4 http://www.voyage4x4.com/Espagne/Transpyreneenne.php.
You can download this track for free on his website. Click the button 'telecharger la trace'. You can download maps for oziexplorer from http://www.mi4x4.com/mapas_calibrados/?d=L1NwYWlu&m1dll_index_get=0
It was a great track with no special difficulties.
We did it early June and on one spot we had to cross a snow wall, but all went well. It was more mentally difficult thant echnically.
I guess from July on all snow will be gone but on the eastern part, several tracks will be closed due to fire hazard. So for me early june is the best period.

A tip for Viewranger for map scaling - if you have it set to change map scale when zooming (default) use the settings -> Map -> Premium map magnification set to a higher number (I use 250 which is max value) to make it change the map at a more useful scale.

Thanks for that Jon, I had been 'fiddling' with the settings and managed to lose the pinch resize option, a flick through CS and it was sorted. I had not seen the option to set a fixed size though, nice one.

HI

On my last trip I used a Lenovo A8-50 8-inch Tablet, I purchased this last minute as I realised that none of computers I was taking didn't have gps and wanted something larger than a phone screen. I'm really glad I did as it proved more useful than I originally had thought. The only down side is Google Maps wont let you save off line maps on external memory. 16Gb is ok but if your going a long trip, google Maps can soon eat up memory. I used Geo Tracker app, never lost GPS.

The Lenovo proved to so useful I have now upgraded to a Lenovo Yoga Book 10.1 inch, just want more memory, a larger, higher res screen. It is heaver, but I think it should be ok.

I looked at the Lenovo and think it is little too pricey for me, more so as it will live in the glove box and not see daily use. BUt it does have a good rep sooooo......

Hi Gary,
I use a CF-19 panasonic toughbook with a gps dongle.

I used the same CF-19 last October on the Tabernas trip the only difference was I used an external GPS, it was running memory map but the battery had run out in about five hours, but pratt that I am I had left the 19 volt car charger at home!!

Although the software was working I never had enough time to evaluate it properly, I decided to give it another go and sent MM money for a map on their site that no longer existed, there was a crossing of swords with them for false advertising, I am now giving Viewranger a test and TBH it is looking good despite only being tested on a phone.

I am begging/borrowing different tablets at the moment to see how they mount up and affect view, getting close now to making a purchase.

Thanks again all.

regards

Dave

Hi Gary,
I use a CF-19 panasonic toughbook with a gps dongle http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/373686/GPS-logger-GT-730FL-S-zwart
And oziexplorer for navigation.
I did the west-east crossing of the pyrennees 2 years ago with the track of voyage4x4 http://www.voyage4x4.com/Espagne/Transpyreneenne.php.
You can download this track for free on his website. Click the button 'telecharger la trace'. You can download maps for oziexplorer from http://www.mi4x4.com/mapas_calibrados/?d=L1NwYWlu&m1dll_index_get=0
It was a great track with no special difficulties.
We did it early June and on one spot we had to cross a snow wall, but all went well. It was more mentally difficult thant echnically.
I guess from July on all snow will be gone but on the eastern part, several tracks will be closed due to fire hazard. So for me early june is the best period.

Thanks so much for this, strangely I have looking was looking yesterday at planning my journey across the Pyrenees. The track you took looks great. Would you say its quit safe for one person to to do on your own. I know this may sound silly but I'm not that confident at off roading on my own.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary,
No worries.
We didn't encounter big difficulties. The tracks in the national parks are well maintained and you are allowed to drive there in groups of max 3-4 vehicles.
Just relax and enjoy!

Wout

I forgot to mention the Tough Book is my work machine so tends to sit in a purpose made Samsonite case with printer and chargers built in and the case plugged into the wall at home, so would like to keep it for the job it was purchased for. I think it is a bit unwieldy for off road navigation unless bolted to the front of a quad, so will not be used again for sat nav.

It seems the tablet I am looking for should have GPS, two camera's, juggling between 7 and 10 inches size, also a possible is the ability to put in a SIM and have 3G or even 4G capability but that is more high end stuff, perhaps asking too much for my budget.

Annoyingly the US has dozens upon dozens of various tablets and at prices so cheap it is unreal, our 'one for all' market means they are not on offer here, and if we purchase then it gets hit with ridiculous import duty.

OK rant off back to the tablet searching.

regards

Dave

Just as an asides, I have found today that 'Maps Me' software which Rodger had downloaded is a little more up to date than many others. A friends house which was only built about 4 years ago shows up on Maps Me and on 'Viewranger', but not on Backcountry navigator which I am also trying.

When using the zoom the small shed that has also been built, and which is angled facing away from the house, the orientation in 'maps me' is very clear, but that is not shown on VR, just two coloured squares that appear identical, Backcountry nav has a little less cluttered view, or more correctly the options to show more or less information is available.

So all three on trial at the moment, having the option to switch between them all 'on the fly' may be useful for comparison or confirmation of position using the three different interpretations the software offers.....if that makes sense?

I think it is fair to say there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to mapping software?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Gary,
No worries.
We didn't encounter big difficulties. The tracks in the national parks are well maintained and you are allowed to drive there in groups of max 3-4 vehicles.
Just relax and enjoy!

Wout
thanks for the info

Hi Gary,
No worries.
Just relax and enjoy!

Wout

I would like to do this maybe this year. Are there camp sites or can you wild camp?

If you go off season in june, wild camping is no problem.

Navigation hardware shopping update.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab E seems to be one of my favourites at the moment, around 10" screen, it has an internal GPS. price is reasonable, and there is an abundance of mounting hardware directly aimed at this model. There are of course cheaper generic options, and reviews range from 'great as a kids toy to a great piece of kit', the comments seems to be more related to build quality as opposed to functionality, they either work straight from the box or there are issues from day one resulting in returned units and then a flooded market of 'refurbished' units available, none of this is the 'norm' for the Samsung range, battery explosion models excepted. :D

Now this is where I am a little hung up. Colour aside there are two models, the T560 and the T 561, the latter has the ability to have a SIM card fitted so can be used as a phone as well, (think spare phone for emergencies), whilst I think this is a good idea it does create a problem. There are few (T561 models) available in Spain and those that are tend to be too pricy for me, so the UK versions have more of the SIM model and even allowing for postage they are nearer my budget of around 200 quid. Does anyone know if the UK version will work on the Spanish mobile networks? I ask because roaming and fitting a SIM from another country is completely different, many visitors here who refuse to pay the roaming charges tried purchasing another SIM, then found it does not work in their particular model of phone. So, are the tablets 'locked' to particular networks as many mobiles are?

Another thought, I can get one new on (Spanish) contract but will have to fork out 10 euros a month (over and above the 10 euro minimum tariff) over a two year phone contract before it become mine but, the deal includes a shed load of data for downloads and may be useful if additional maps need updating, or I wish to download other software and 'mountain Wi Fi' is not working. Cost wise is not great at around 240 euros more for the purchase but there will be no data charge, (if my understanding of the advertising in Spain is correct :confused:), and it will of course be new, work on the Spanish network and registered to yours truly, with warranty, any thoughts?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Hi

Would July be a problem when wild camping?

G.

No wild camping is a problem if done discreetly and the place left clean and tidy IMO. It is when there are groups of three or four converted trucks, painted with murals, and respect for the countryside is ignored.

regards

Dave

Re the false advertising from Memory Map.

Credit where credit is due, whilst MM did not apologise for the blatant advertisement of having particular maps of Spain when in fact they were no longer available, they did refund my money in full, case closed.

regards

Dave

Hi

Would July be a problem when wild camping?

G.
I wasn't there in july, but since it is holiday season, more people will be around and the chance to be alone on a camping spot will be smaller. If you follow Dave's advice, you'll be fine.

while we are talking about this what would be good if the software on the sys would allow you to upload gpx files to the map software. can any of them do that as well?

I know Viewranger lets you import gpx files. Alternatively can also add routes to your account on the Viewranger web site and download them to any of your devices that you're running it on if they have a data connection.

So decision made! By chance I stumbled on a new Samsung Galaxy Tab E, this is the T561 version so has the internal GPS and can have a SIM card put in as it is unlocked, this was on the Spanish eBay, there are a lot of T560's (non SIM), so I was lucky to get this, it is only 'up the road' in Madrid, should be here sometime next week.

I decided against the contract route, with an unlocked version I can buy just a SIM card, there is normally a nominal fee to keep the line of around 5 euros per month depending what you want to do with the tablet, this will ultimately save me money over the year.

So the ability to download maps if need be, and of course the security of a second phone that will live in the glove box, I may even leave it connected so can I can Bluetooth to the old OE Toyota radio or use the headset jack, again to the old radio/cassette/CD player.

regards

Dave

while we are talking about this what would be good if the software on the sys would allow you to upload gpx files to the map software. can any of them do that as well?

Looking at the various offerings on the market I think gpx files as per Jon's post is the way to go. GPX is mentioned quite a bit when reading through different forums that are conversing about mapping software but, I am way out of my depth on this subject so my understanding is very limited.

regards

Dave

problem is unless your mapping software accepts route files (gpx) then you can't use other peoples routes.

I am a bit lucky my windows phone has map software that allows this. So what ever you choose make sure it accepts route files

Oziexplorer can import gpx files.
If your program doesn't work with gpx files, chances are great that you can convert the routes and waypoints with gpsbabel to your desired format.
https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Back