Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Current off road navigation thinking?

I too have been exploring options. I got screwed by Memory Map recently, downloaded the software, needed to pay for a map. Made the payment and then found the map was no longer available! This was a map called 'Discovery and off road trails of Spain'.

Pressed the link to customer support and got a reply from the UK branch, "sorry the map is no longer available", so I requested a refund. The reply went something like "as you made the payment to the US site we cannot refund you, we have sent the request to the US branch'. And as of yet not heard a thing, so, Memory Map IS international..........until they make a misleading claim and then you are dropped in the ether.

regards

Dave

Hi

Wow that's a coincidence, I just started planning my next big trip, West to East across the Pyrenees. Have you been before?

I use a NETGEAR AC810-100EUS Aircard Wi-Fi Mobile Broadband Hotspot, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FUZE5H8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
for my internet connection. 3 mobile gave the best deal for Norway and Sweden, 12GB for month, on a monthly contract of £26.00. Its unlimited data when used in the UK.

Personal I found the tablet invaluable on my trip, really useful for finding local camp sites, being able to quickly zoom in and out of the area your in. As a solo driver it would have been a right pain without it.

Regards
Gary
Hi Gary. No we haven't been before. I'm brand new to this type of thing, only had my LC for just over a year and have been fiddling about with her in this time.
We (my Good Woman) and I are doing a weekender in Salisbury plain in April, then I'm doing another one the following weekend with Star Cruiser to learn how she handles in the dirt.
We'd only to a part of it as the Good Woman is concerned she'll get bumped to bits on a long journey....what's your experience of the route?

Hi Gary. No we haven't been before. I'm brand new to this type of thing, only had my LC for just over a year and have been fiddling about with her in this time.
We (my Good Woman) and I are doing a weekender in Salisbury plain in April, then I'm doing another one the following weekend with Star Cruiser to learn how she handles in the dirt.
We'd only to a part of it as the Good Woman is concerned she'll get bumped to bits on a long journey....what's your experience of the route?

HI

I've not been either, I'm also kind of new to this too, my 1st adventure was last Sep/Oct, I did a road trip round Norway and Sweden. It was amazing, I am totally hook on it, all I think about now is my next trip. I was planning to do the Outer Hebrides and Isle Sky, but I might have to delay it.

G.

For the W-E Pyrennes take a look at www.wikiloc.com and www.voyager4x4.com The voyager4x4 is in French and costs while wiki is in English or Spanish. The Spanish gov't also allow the download of maps, I use 1:50000 and 1:25000 and Dave2000 and I successfully found are way through the Sierra Baza last weekend as neither gps system we were trying out worked. Obviously most home printers don't do A3 so a bit of work to work out which bits you need, etc But looking at your posts you guys seem to have gps working.
Regards,
Rodger

The printed maps you had Rodger were excellent. I am looking at downloading offline maps that can be overlaid with a GPS map. The main problem is in deep and narrow canyons with overhangs, the GPS unit cannot 'see' enough sky to get a signal. With offline maps we would have an idea where we were and when entering a more open area the GPS would update our position.

Android seems to have more support for offline maps, perhaps because of hikers being happier with the lighter weight of Android devices? I also like a 'proper' keyboard that they do not have so, I am looking for a cheap Android tablet with GPS built in, I do not want to be running up a data bill as Google or similar render maps 'on the fly'. This can be left in the car permanently, and worry about replacing my poor sick VAIO 'lappy' at a later date.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They show two version of plotters on that link Shane however, both have been discontinued. Perhaps there are newer versions, I will have a root about.

Thanks for the thought.

regards

Dave

HI.......my 1st adventure was last Sep/Oct, I did a road trip round Norway and Sweden..........G.

Hi Gary. That got my woman interested. She's been to Norway a couple of times, but I never have, she says it's a beautiful place so I guess it is another one to consider...... Do you have any photos to share?

Hi

Here is a link to my best pics from my Norway - Sweden trip

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgQA8EJvpzpztK8_nkzv_eX2vJeBFQ

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance.

Regards

Gary

Thanks for sharing that Gary, I'll show the missus tonight when I get home, looks like an amazing trip. We watched a Norwegian disaster film called "The Wave" last night and it sparked off memories of the place for her as she used to work on the cruise ships a few years back. Doesn't look like a lot of offroading, but still a great looking trip. As a bonus, you got to see the aurora borealis too. She went to Iceland last year to see that last year but they were not lucky!
We did a 3,000 mile trip in America late last year which was cool, but unfortunately it was in a hire car. Would have loved to have taken the Toyota over, but not an option!

Thanks for sharing that Gary, I'll show the missus tonight when I get home, looks like an amazing trip. We watched a Norwegian disaster film called "The Wave" last night and it sparked off memories of the place for her as she used to work on the cruise ships a few years back. Doesn't look like a lot of offroading, but still a great looking trip. As a bonus, you got to see the aurora borealis too. She went to Iceland last year to see that last year but they were not lucky!
We did a 3,000 mile trip in America late last year which was cool, but unfortunately it was in a hire car. Would have loved to have taken the Toyota over, but not an option!

Thanks, I remember hearing a good review on that movie, but I forgot to but it on my to get list. How was it?

I was really lucky with aurora borealis viewings. I had 2-3 night viewings. Its amazing to see. I really want to go to Iceland but its not cheap, they say the best trip is around 15 nights. One day I hope.

I'm still not confidant enough to do offroading on my own, but for the Pyrenees looks like I will have to get over that, if I want to get the best views.

Regards

Gary

Progress update:

I downloaded 'Viewranger' mapping software to my Samsung mobile. Paid out some money for what seem to be half decent 1:25,ooo Spanish topo maps and went for a drive. Please appreciate this is a quick test on the mapping software, the phone screen is way too small for use when on the move, depending on my recent blood glucose numbers my eyesight being somewhere between bifocals and binoculars.

The phone has the typical built in GPS so no connection issues there. As the maps were on the phones SD card, I turned off the phones data link, this will ensure there is no additional cost to my mobile phone bill, and with no 3g/4g coverage they would still work...and they did. The result is not too shabby, there seems to be a short lag in updating my position when off road, out on the more open roads this is not so noticeable.

The phones position in the car does not help here, the more sky that can be 'seen' the better the sat fix, so understand there are improvements to be made. This may also help when choosing from the android tablets I have been looking at, a cheaper unit but with a larger screen may not have a built in GPS but, this would mean the use of an external one (which I used on the TB), would have a better view of the sky and thus improve accuracy/update time. This would mean keeping additional hardware, but given the tablet will have no other use, it will live in the 80 glove box unless in use on the way to, or on a trail, so the GPS can stay with it.

I looked at a couple of sizes, 5" it seems is ridiculous (well, so I am told), so 7 or perhaps 10" is the way to go? It was mentioned earlier about reflections, so I wondered about suspending it from the overhead console where the altimeter and sub fuel gauge (not used) console is sited, try to think of the better airlines that have the film screens in the ceiling, not on Dan Dare airlines (you know the ones with the outside toilets) so, a screen that could clip into a carrier, and being higher up it would be in the shade so the image would be easier to see, trying to find an android screen with 'nit' count info is quite difficult.

The screen may hang down too far even in portrait view and obstruct vision when in use, so looking into this at the moment. When a choice has been made on the tablet purchase I will post back, thanks to all who have contributed.

regards

Dave

hiya Dave - we have just got a couple of Samsung S7 edge's with a 51/2 inch screen - too small for me, but a passenger who doesnt have to concentrate on steering could probably use it much better - that said, we would more than likely use the Tablet (10") for off line nav.........if we had the right maps and a spare usb charging port!
Dane Dare Airlines with outside bogs - priceless!

Hi Steve good to hear from you, yep I like the look of the edge, my contract expires later this year and that is on the top of my list at the moment. My passenger said she will have trouble holding the edge, it is true, her paws do lack dexterity!

I think I am in the 10" size market as well Steve, what brand is your one and have you tried it at all with any mapping software?

regards

Dave

Maps at 1:25000 is brilliant as all the Tabernas planning is happening on the paper version of 1:25000 as I can download them (free) from the Spanish Geographical Society. We can check the tablet/gps against the paper on our next reccie trip.
Love the Dan Dare stuff and the reference to Cookie's dexterity.
Still trying to get our Android tablet working.

Regards,
Rodger

I'm finding the tablet screen reflections are not too bad if you tilt the screen down very slightly which works ok for my tablet sitting on top of the dash.

For GPS I am using a SkyPro XGPS160 Bluetooth GPS to feed my tablet with a reliable GPS signal.

Thanks for that Jon. I cannot remember the name of my external GPS, I also have a Glonass version dongle as well, so can pick up the Russian satellites as well, although not used yet. Fortunately it was not expensive, my lack of understanding had me purchase it by mistake. :rolleyes: Something I mentioned in an unrelated thread awhile back was the inability to read the LCD digits on petrol pumps when wearing Polaroid sunglasses, and I wondered if this would be an issue with LCD screens so perhaps this would have an influence on the final position, would tilting the screen down aggravate the problem? Some research suggests this is possible, it is ironic that the LCD pump digits CAN be seen if you are looking down them which is fine if you are seven feet tall, I think can manage the width but not the height :D, perhaps they should have installed the LCD digits upside down? If my LCD versus Polaroid thoughts are correct and I guess if the tablet can be mounted in a position or has the ability to rotate the view then it should not be a problem. I cannot seem to create separate paragraphs the cursor refusing to move down the page...sorry. Regards Dave

I think its a Samsung Galaxy Tab too - Dawn has all her Sex music on it, I mean Sax music! We kept losing GPS last time, but it is pretty ancient when it comes to electronics!:kissingsmiling:

A tip for Viewranger for map scaling - if you have it set to change map scale when zooming (default) use the settings -> Map -> Premium map magnification set to a higher number (I use 250 which is max value) to make it change the map at a more useful scale.

HI

On my last trip I used a Lenovo A8-50 8-inch Tablet, I purchased this last minute as I realised that none of computers I was taking didn't have gps and wanted something larger than a phone screen. I'm really glad I did as it proved more useful than I originally had thought. The only down side is Google Maps wont let you save off line maps on external memory. 16Gb is ok but if your going a long trip, google Maps can soon eat up memory. I used Geo Tracker app, never lost GPS.

The Lenovo proved to so useful I have now upgraded to a Lenovo Yoga Book 10.1 inch, just want more memory, a larger, higher res screen. It is heaver, but I think it should be ok.

Back