Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cv clicking?

thewormman

I have just noticed a clicking coming from the front of my 1999 Colorado when driving straight or on right bends, silent on left bends. I take it this is a CV joint? Typically I have to drive nearly 300 miles on Wednesday mainly on motorways is this likely to go bang? Or will it be ok if I take it easy? I am on my way to overland cruisers for some work and would probably be able to get Julian to do it whilst there.

The normal test for a worn cv is to put it on full lock and accelerate in a circle, if its a worn cv it will click/clatter.

Its not normally straight ahead as the joint isnt extended in either direction, but if its badly worn then I guess its likely.

If you raise the front end, see if there is any movement at the top and bottom of the wheel when you grip it, it may be a wheel bearing.

Have a look at the arb drop link as well, mine was seized at the bottom then sheared off, it rattled against the lower plate.

If you do swap the CV joint, use a Toyota one, saves you risking having to do it again.

Im sure Julian will tell you what the problem is.

Pete

Ok thanks Pete I will investigate today it is making the sound when just rolling along in a straight line so maybe it is a wheel bearing or ( insert prayer here ) maybe just a stone caught in the disc calliper. Fingers crossed

I did think about the brakes, but that tends to be a high pitched squeal.

tbh its a symptom that could be a dozen things - uj on a propshaft for instance, or it could even be a stone in a tyre !

Good luck

Pete

Back