Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4D assistance required

Ecky Thump

Garage
Just had a phone call from Tommo on the Plain.

He has a pre heater sat on the top front of his engine and the bearing in the pulley is squeeling and grinding.
Obviously FUBAR. Does anyone have a clue if the pulley is a replacement part and if so what the part number may be.

Ian Rubie is there and if Tommo can get him the part number in the next couple of days, Ian will get one in his next order.

I will have a look on TOYO-DIY later but haven't got the time just now.

We'd need a VIN number to look it up in the parts catalogue.

Cheers Jon

Over to you Tommo. ~I know I have yours wrote down somewhere but I have no idea where it is :oops:

ToyoDIY.com is the place.

Didn't get any joy with your VIN (you might want to remove it at some point as apparently it can be used for cloning V5s or some such activity :twisted: )

Can you give us your model no? Should be something like KDJ95R-GKPNYW... that will be enough to track down the parts #

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you double check the 8th digit is correct, I think it should be a J.

Ah, you beat me to it :)

I can only see a complete assembly part no. at the moment - 87120-35030 - will keep looking for a bit longer.

Just been on the drive fettling with it.

Forgive the non technical language, an engineer i am not! Please feel free to correct

Image0139.jpg

Image0137.jpg

On the top left of the engine is the preheater, it has a wheel/pulley which turns with the fanbelt on the outside and then the bit in the centre is the heater itself which remains stationary unless the preheater is on, when it spins, driving the pre heater. Now there is a squealing sound from this assembly when the engine is running which increases in pitch and volume with engine speed. It does not make a difference whether the preheater is on or off so i don't believe it is the bearing between the two. it appears to be the bearing attached to the part which turns all the time.

Now i have tried taking the guard off as you can see from the pics and jetwashing it (pouring water on it shuts it up till the water is gone) and i have tried white grease, wd40 and penetrant spray. All quiet it for about a minute, then it starts again.

Any ideas, and is it safe to drive. i ask this because i have to go to West Coast 4x4 from Portsmouth next saturday to have my suspension done......

It looks like the same serpentine belt drives all the ancilliaries? The worry is that if the bearing fails and the pully stops turning then the belt snaps and now your fan and water pump aren't turning so keep an eye on the temp guage and charge light (alternator will stop turning as well). If the noise level is just a bit irritating you might get away with it. If it sounds quite bad then I wouldn't risk it. You *could* just have a bit of grit trapped and not in the bearing itself but otherwise the amount of noise a bearing makes is usually proportional for how iminent complete failure will be.

If you look at my air-con magnetic clutch thread you will probably find yours is very similar in how it is fixed on and you could take it apart. On my air-con, with the pulley off it was very obvious it was a faulty bearing on that: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17

How sure are you it's that part that's making the noise and not one of the ancilliaries just underneath it?

Hey Tommo

Bit of garden hose - one part to your ear, the other to the various suspect parts (be careful!!) great stethoscope in case you have any doubts. (Another one to thank Julian for).

Jon Wildsmith said:
It looks like the same serpentine belt drives all the ancilliaries? The worry is that if the bearing fails and the pully stops turning then the belt snaps and now your fan and water pump aren't turning so keep an eye on the temp guage and charge light (alternator will stop turning as well). If the noise level is just a bit irritating you might get away with it. If it sounds quite bad then I wouldn't risk it. You *could* just have a bit of grit trapped and not in the bearing itself but otherwise the amount of noise a bearing makes is usually proportional for how iminent complete failure will be.

If you look at my air-con magnetic clutch thread you will probably find yours is very similar in how it is fixed on and you could take it apart. On my air-con, with the pulley off it was very obvious it was a faulty bearing on that: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17

How sure are you it's that part that's making the noise and not one of the ancilliaries just underneath it?

John

Talking to Tommo last night I was getting to the grit / loose belt way of thinking, having said that this noise has been around quite a long time now and has suddenly got worse.
I have looked at your aircon thread and have a question. Will that bearing make the same noise whether the clutch is engaged or not :?:
If so then That is most probably the culprit. I thought that the noise would disappear when the clutch is engaged but I didn't know how it worked at the time.

Les the bearing on the pulley would only make a noise when the clutch is not engaged. When the clutch is engaged the whole thing turns and the bearing doesn't do any work. On the other hand, if it was the centre section / the heater that had a problem then you wouldn't have a noise when that's not turning would you. That's why I asked how sure you are of the source of the noise because the symptoms don't really add up unless it's something else or just something trapped between the pulley and the pump / bracket etc and not the bearing. If it's been there for a while but suddenly got worse I wouldn't take any long drives without identifying the fault so I would check sound source and then whip that pulley off to check the bearing state / clean behind it.

Cheers Jon, sort of what I had figured.

When the noise started I tried to pinpoint it but there are so many pulleys spinning that it is next to impossible to figure it out.
We sprayed each pulley with ceramic paste and the noise died down on that pulley, but of course that could have been the paste having just worked it's way into another pully.

Trouble is I can't get down to Tommo for a week or so and he needs to go to West Coast 4X4 next weekend.

Is there a competent mechanic in the Gosport area who can go and have a look for him :?:
It's either that or he will have to go to Mr T which could be a tad expensive.

I just get the impression that this is a 'neither here nor there' issue that could be sorted quite quickly.

Julian said:
Tommo and Ecky
http://www.southernautorepairs.co.uk/
I have used them for MOT the guy how owns like cruisers and they replaced the engine in a 100 series for somebody on the other forum
Sorry posted that from my phone and it doesn't make alot of sense.
Southern Auto Repairs are just of Priory Road, in Gosport, I used them for a MOT last year. It turns out the guy who owns the garage is a Landcruiser fan. They did an engine swap for 'samhardy' on the other forum in a 100 series and he seemed impressed with them

I told Tommo to look at your previous post.

He had Green Flag out today and the guy confirmed it was the pre heater pulley. I think Tommo is going to try Southern Auto tomorrow.
Thanks for that Julian.

Back