Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4d or earlier engine ?

James Lampard

Hi, I am on the lookout for a Colorado manual diesel and would appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of the d4d vs the earlier engine .
From what I have gathered so far the earlier engines can have head gasket problems although that issue is more common with an auto so may not affect me
The d4d is more powerful and economical so the obvious choice as far I am concerned but the local mechanic I use warned me they suffer with injectors which he reckons could be more of a problem !
From what I have gathered from the forum it is the injector seals that fail , surely this would not be an expensive preventative measure ??
Thought I would get the best advice from club members !!!!!

Cheers Jim

yes the earlier 1kzte engine can suffer from a cracked head but this is mainly down to an ageing cooing system so as long as you keep on top of this you should be fine.
the d4d is more economical but you are stepping up to a common rail set up so yes they have had some problems with the injector seals letting by, which results in the oil pick up getting blocked in the sump and starves the engine. it does happen but you can take it into toyota for a check.

The injector issue is blown out of proportion from what I can see. There was a Toyota recall on injector seals on trucks manufactured during a very short period. It is a very rare occurrence in reality. The D4D engine is much more powerful, and about 8mpg better. A friend of mine has a 2000 reg 90 with the earlier engine and there's a noticeable difference in how they drive

If you are set on a manual then the 1kz-te is pretty bomb proof

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Another good pro of the earlier 1kzte engine is it can pretty much run on anything - veg oil ect

The D4D engines are good, but so are the 1kzte once once kept in good shape and they obviously carry far less wiring and electrics.

1KZ-T is a simpler engine and no slouch in the power department, especially offroad and is a common upgrade with the 70 series Cruiser. I have a D4D in my 120 Cruiser and had my independent garage change the injector washers and seals as a preventative measure.

From memory this cost about £400 all in to do, now I'm a bit wiser I think this could be done at home by a competent DIYer for a lot less, the early D4D engine is a good workhorse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back