Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash Grab Handle?

Dave4D

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,
My wife is disabled and would greatly benefit from a grab handle on the dash.
I have seen them in a few pictures in a 90 series. Has anyone fit one or know how to get one and fitting it?
Cheers,
Dave.
Untitled-1.jpg

Not sure it's something you could retro fit.... depends on if you have a passenger airbag or not
If you have a passenger airbag then most likely it can't be retro fitted and it would be a braver man than me to go drilling holes near a passenger air bag ;-0

Is that OEM? VW campers have dash grab handles that look a bit like that.

Yes that's OEM, my one looks very similar. Doesn't have passenger or driver airbags.

Steering wheel is i the wrong place so it must be a Prado 90

Short wheelbase 90 series trucks all have grab handles here in Ireland. Long wheelbase do not.. strangely both have passenger airbags. The swb also has a 3 spoke steering wheel as opposed to the chunky 4 spoke in the lwb.. I can't see it being a big issue to swap from a breakers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's odd over here the 3 spoke steering wheels are no airbags, the 4 spoke ones do have airbags.

I would hazard a guess that the brackets are there behind the dash as a common dash support structure would have been used. Much in the same way that the wiring harness for every accessory is in the truck, regardless of whether the option was fitted in the factory

:text-+1: my search suggests it was an optional extra rarely included for the 70 , 80 , 90 , and 100 series

So you drill holes through the existing dash to install the handle to the steel frame behind the dash?

I can't remember how to remove the glove box so you can see whats in there but it is very easy .

Squeeze the sides of the box and ot drops down, there's two screws holding it in. You might be able to lie in the footwell and have a look up. I'd check mine for you but I currently have a 16 month old asleep on my chest, and I'd be afraid he'd get dirty

I just read airbags were optional extra's in Australia , they were likely a legal requirement in occupied europe , so that might explain why i've never seen the grab handle in the 90 series .

I've been snooping around and it seems as though the shorties in Ireland have a the grab handle and little recess in the top of the dash, and not a passenger airbag at all... looks like it's handle or airbag, not both...

Non air bag 12V early 80s had passenger grab handle, Could you ask Mike (Chapelgate) or Karl Webster if they have one ....And somehow make it fit

I just read airbags were optional extra's in Australia , they were likely a legal requirement in occupied europe , so that might explain why i've never seen the grab handle in the 90 series .
Sure were as was ABS and AC. Not surprisingly most opted for the AC. I'd say about 80 percent of the ones I've seen around here don't have the safety packages.

So if your to fit the handle you want to remove the airbag or else it would fire the handle at you with deadly force in the event of an accident .

Assuming its not much different from the steering wheel which holds an air bag and i've had in bits loads of times . I just disconnect the battery then turn all the lights on and go drink tea for half hour until i'm sure any residue charge is gone then unplug the airbag .

Back