Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash light burn out.

Rookie93

Country Flag
united_states
Hey guys, I have a 97 LC 80. It's a one owner and in perfect shape. I just bought it and noticed that the "D" light is burnt out in the dash. All the other gears light up just fine. What's this going to take to replace that bulb? or could it be something else?? Please advise.

Thanks!!

~Rookie

You and just about every other 80. Because the D light is on most of the time it will blow first.

I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong that the dash panel has to be removed to gain access to the bulbs.

yep you're right Chas, the clock binnacle has to come out. It's a rarity for it to work, just a bulb replacement.

Mine still works!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds good Star! I'm on it. I'll post some pic's. I think I will replace them all while I got it open. Stay tuned........

~Rookie

Star,

I see the pictures, but I didn't see any instructions on "how" he did it? Is there a better thread on how to take this dash apart?

~Rookie

What year is your 80 Rook?
If it's the later one there is a thread on here.

If it's the earlier one with the gradually sloping dash top then it's relatively simple to remove once you know where the screws are.

Move the steering wheel down to its lowest position.

Remove the ash tray, pull it forward then press down the sprung metal flap and pull it out. Behind there at the front you will find two screws. Remove these and one vertically upwards through the tray slide, (see below) also one just below and to the side of the climate control (see below) and gently pull on the aperture, the fascia is held in by spring clips on rectangular retainers which push and pull without breaking (quite nicely as it happens). The side nearest the drivers door is only held by these spring retainers only and should pull away at a line part way through and around the ignition barrel (the US version may differ here). You will need to pull the plugs off the backs of all the switches, pushing them out the fascia panel sometimes helps as some of the catches are a bit fiddly especially on the big plugs on the back of the climate control.

Carry on along, gently releasing as you go. Carefully lift the fascia over the steering column and away once all the plugs have been removed. Make notes of any that are non standard as the factory ones are non interchangeable and therefore easy to marry up again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627873.218539.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627904.065703.jpg
Ash tray with two screws and one vertically up.
Next to the climate control is a tube with a sensor in it. Carefully I clip this from the back of the fascia.

To remove the top part of the fascia, there are three screws into the soft part of the dash.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627931.047277.jpg

One above the vents and two above the binnacle. Ease the fascia forward as with the lower piece and disconnect the plugs from the clock and hazard switch. Go easy with the vents as there may be foam sealer strip that can turn to powder and may warrant replacing. (Can't remember if mine has this or whether it was just a slide fit).

Once removed, the binnacle screws can be seen (I can't remember if there's just two at the top or some at the bottom too). Unscrew these and the binnacle will pull forward off the pegs that locate it. Remove the plugs from the back by pressing the clips like before.

And there it is. All the lamps remove by a quarter turn. Plus the auto lamps unclip in a pod from the centre revealing the lamps.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That's freaking rad Star! I'm on this first thing this weekend. Maybe I'll post a thread on how to replace a burnt out "D" light. Help out some of the boys. Sounds like this is a common problem. Thanks Bro.

~Rookie

Err…Ok…, I haven't had that trouble with my rad but maybe someone else can help……

[emoji6]

Back