Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash scratching gremlins

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
Hope you can here the scratching sounds behind the clocks,I've had it for years,any ideas ? Even when you've just turned the engine off it continues until you remove the key.
My wife calls it 'mice waking up'...
Never gets any worse or goes anyway,I've got used to it now.
Cheers

I've uploaded photos before by opening 'attach file',do I upload a video in the same way?

Are you sure it's behind the clocks ?
I have a scratching? noise from mine, but only audible when I turn ignition and/or engine off, I never noticed it at all until I was buggering about with something else, then I eventually sourced it to under the bonnet and thought it was the abs unit.
It didn't run long enough for a definite pinpoint, but after speaking to TONYC, it's the turbo stepper motor that controls the variable vane turbo and quite normal.

Last edited:
Thanks TM,I'll check under the bonnet as well next time.
How do I upload a video onto the forum?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't think you can directly upload videos to the site. I stick them on Youtube and put a link on here, that works.

I'm sat in the car on the driveway trying to make the sound happen.With ignition on but no engine running it starts and is intermittent so it's difficult to record.
If I get a sound recording I'll post it.
Do I upload the recording to youtube also?
It keeps going till the key is removed from the ignition.

Are you sure it's behind the clocks ?
I have a scratching? noise from mine, but only audible when I turn ignition and/or engine off, I never noticed it at all until I was buggering about with something else, then I eventually sourced it to under the bonnet and thought it was the abs unit.
It didn't run long enough for a definite pinpoint, but after speaking to TONYC, it's the turbo stepper motor that controls the variable vane turbo and quite normal.
Well done TM,I've just traced it to the turbo side of the engine.With the engine off and bonnet up it's very easy to trace.I've been wondering about it for years !
I'll take Tony's word for it that it's normal.
Cheers

Thanks toolsplus but I take no credit, just passing on information as you do on forums.
Tony never fails on these 120's !
Mine was an odd one too, I'd never knowingly heard it, then one day it seemed to be there and I hear it every time now, so just ignore it, having Tony answer the question.

Back