Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Day out in the Dales end of July?

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Right folks I'm looking at having a day out laning in the Dales
at the end of this month (july) most likely Friday 27th. Not set in stone as yet.

I'll most likely have the family with me so nothing too extreme but plenty of scenery, nice lanes and not just gravel tracks. If they don't go along a couple of more interesting lanes get added lol.

Nice 6 to 8 hour (bit longer if no kids with me) route starting leyburn area.

If there's anyone is interested in tagging along let me know (4 vehicles max tbh)

I'm not planning on camping just a nice day out.
Realised I go out there regularly and don't invite people lol.

We had a good day out today, left home in the pouring rain with Emma giving me 'that look', I kept waiting for her to say scrap the idea of laning and picnic in the Dales!!

Well as we got off the A1 and started heading to Leyburn the skies were blue
IMG-20180727-WA0000.jpg

Through Leyburn and onto the lanes

20180727_114713.jpg

20180727_114727.jpg

20180727_115050.jpg

Nice long lane with the sun shining and temp rising, now had a happy wife.

Rather then heading higher up as some of the lanes aren't advisable for solo we dropped down to Bolton castle

IMG-20180727-WA0003.jpg

Had a wander round to give the kids a leg stretch.

IMG-20180727-WA0009.jpg

Headed over to Aysgarth falls and went for a walk, the recent dry spell has left the falls more of a trickle

20180727_131038.jpg

20180727_131637.jpg

We had lunch and carried on, now the plan was to head over to a really good set of long lanes, eventually dropping to stalling busk, across cam high and west cam road ending the day in Hawes.....

well the 80 had other plans on the way to these these lanes!!
It did something it's NEVER done before, the temp gauge went up past half way and had itself a look at the little red box!! We hadn't even got to the steeper hills to get to the lanes and was only doing 45 mph.
Heater went on full, ac off, Windows open etc to get it back down (didn't stay high for long)

Got to the steeper hills and gently drove up with the temp high again. Gently to the lane entrance and popped the bonnet. expansion bottle level good engine heat was high, trans tunnel, gear lever etc all hot.

Let it cool down a bit then set off up the lane, nice a steady in low box

IMG-20180727-WA0005.jpg

First section has a steady climb, temp was good but a bit higher then middle where it always sits.

IMG-20180727-WA0008.jpg

Took it steady and it flattens off across the top then drops down

20180727_142245.jpg

80 had behaved itself but I decided not to drive the other lanes planned as they're not as steady, quite rocky and I don't need to be looking at the temp gauge while driving them!!

We dropped over to Hawes by road and stopped at the creamery for cheese and ice cream. Even with further steep hills etc temp stayed perfect as normal!!!

Only thing I can think is I don't run with the ac on while laning even between lanes, Windows down does me nicely. The outside temp, added heat from the condenser and a bit of extra load. Ac off for the remainder untill we left to drive home and it didn't get hot.

I've been in the Dales with similar outside temps on the same lanes and roads, with a bootfull of gear etc and never seen that gauge move.

Next mod.... getting some heat out of that engine bay!!

All in a good day out and the kids enjoyed it. 20180727_114713.jpg

looks good gary, would of been up for this if I didn't have so much on atm..

looks good gary, would of been up for this if I didn't have so much on atm..

I go regularly tbh Dales and Moors, advantage of my location.

I'll try to post with a bit of notice when I'm going (sometimes it's decided last minute) and look into a day trip without the kids, can add more interesting lanes into the route lol.

Need to look into getting some heat out of the engine bay/going electric fans with override.

I go regularly tbh Dales and Moors, advantage of my location.

I'll try to post with a bit of notice when I'm going (sometimes it's decided last minute) and look into a day trip without the kids, can add more interesting lanes into the route lol.

Need to look into getting some heat out of the engine bay/going electric fans with override.
Sorry for the Hijack, but iv just fitted 4 Bilge air blowers for a guy at the marina ,38ft cruiser with 2 6cyl fords and his engine bay was HOT, they seemed to have done the trick. cheap as chips really you can get all kinds of extras, thermos / delay/ cut in/out switches 12/24 v0lt. I fitted some inline turbo boost fans as well (no more black smoke on full throttle)https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-B...hash=item1a52a71001:m:mABnzMpa9FqnhSRXocngKtQ There are allsorts available.. Sorry thought they might be just as good in an 80.

Fantastic pics Gary!
It is a real worry when the temp gauge starts to indicate trouble. I just had a day out with AC on and some steep hills (although not long ones) and very high temps and I was very pleased to not the temp gauge behaved itself! - Hope it is accurate?? First real day off road since purchase and it behaved perfectly. PHEW!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's pretty impressive that carving/sculpture in the pics.. Is that a mans leg in its mouth?

Well today I've been and thrashed the living daylights out of the 80 (If it went bang it went bang), back roads, hills, lower speed minor roads and private road for speed. Not an issue! Absolutely nothing to find fault with either (I checked before giving it a good kicking)

The usual hot engine bay, trans tunnel etc but didn't smell hot this time.
It just wasn't happy yesterday. Outside temp is a bit lower.

I might make some spacers to lift the back of the bonnet up to vent some heat out. Being petrol it gets pretty hot under there.

That's pretty impressive that carving/sculpture in the pics.. Is that a mans leg in its mouth?

Yeah it's impressive and well crafted.
Yeah it's a leg lol. My daughter said look it's got a fish, oh no hang on it's a leg it's eaten someone :lol:

Looks like a fantastic day out, would have totally come along in more normal circumstances

Great post and the truck looking as handsome as ever Gary.

Could just need a top up of oil in the viscous fan (presuming the petrol version has a viscous fan)...

The chuck air like helicopter rotors when they’re working right...

Great post and the truck looking as handsome as ever Gary.

Could just need a top up of oil in the viscous fan (presuming the petrol version has a viscous fan)...

The chuck air like helicopter rotors when they’re working right...

Cheers mate, it always looks better where it belongs.

Yeah it's possible, it works fine but could be worth changing/topping up. I gave it a good kicking the day after and gauge stayed normal lol (even made sure the Rac card was in my wallet haha)

I'll probably just go over the entire cooling system, give it a flush, viscous oil, ac system check, make sure cooling fins are fully clear, gearbox oil coolers (has a 2nd one in front of the condenser/radiator) buy a hilux etc.

You could smell it was hotter then normal, i noticed that before the gauge did anything as strange as that may sound.

The gauge (if standard) is close to useless, unless you don’t take your eyes off it, which isn’t very practical :lol:

My fan rarely kicks in with a vengeance, and we have it pretty warm here in the summer circa 40C.

But when I go on some of the climbs on the local tracks, theres one section (the second climb on the ridge run) where I’m always waiting for it to engage, and rarely have I been let down.

The first time I heard it, I thought the Air Force were training in the valley! I stopped and popped the hood to see what was wrong, and nearly got sucked in.

OK I’m exaggerating a bit, but I was impressed. The gauge goes from horizontal to about 5mm above that at the tip of the needle, then the fan kicks in and it drops to horizontal within 20 seconds or so, and the fan goes quiet.

All ticketty-boo :lol:

Fan works but I'll def look at some oil I think. (Already messaged my mate to see of Toyota still do it) Could hear it howling but gauge hitting red always becomes a concern :thumbdown:

It'll be coming to bits for other stuff soon so just goes on the list.

Can't get it in the UK from Toyota, there's 3 options and can only get the lightest one but showing very low stock.

E bay from Aus is an option or silicone oil for rc stuff.

Gary if you want to go halves on shipping I would like to get some too.

Gary if you want to go halves on shipping I would like to get some too.

I'll message one of the e bay sellers if they'll post to the UK, or have a word with one of our Aus members :icon-wink:

It's on the to do list, have to resit my masters assessment next week so a small welcome distraction lol.

I used RC car limited slip diff silicone oil before in viscous fans and it worked fine

Back