Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dehydration

Doing what we do in Froggy land, we have got used to drinking plenty during the day, especially in high summer (a couple of weeks ago! - 35-40 deg, all day mowing) i made the mistake when we first arrived of having a beer after every garden - (customers offered it) boy was I ill that night :( dehydrated, sun stroke (no hat) you name it. Lesson learned.......drink plenty of water day & night :)

One area that we haven't touched on in this thread is 'pre-hydration'.
You know you are going out on the trails and most of us will have our breakfast and a cuppa or two and then set off. There is a medical recommendation that says that when we know we are going to be in circumstances that potentially induce dehydration then we should pre-hydrate our bodies.
This is done by regularly sips of water ( 2 ounces) with about 15-20 minutes between each taking around 8-10 ounces on. Just drinking a litre of water in a very short space of time is detrimental and defeats the purpose.

Also found a water intake guide (water also includes re-hydrating sports drinks and/or powders mixed in) which is calculated as a simple formula - minimum per day water intake = half of your body weight in ounces. i.e. if you weigh 150lbs then you should consume 70 ounces of water during the day. I guess they mean fluid ounces: 1 pint of water equals approx 20 fluid ounces and 1 litre has 35 fluid ounces. Obviously in extreme conditions that steady intake should increase.

Regards

My kidney Dr told me 3 liters per day, under normal conditions.

Sorry, I just can't get that much down my neck in an 18 hr shift, but I have increased my water intake and feel better for it.

TBH, I don't enjoy drinking water at all, which can be a problem with the sugar intake of soft drinks.

Must change my ways a bit more.

Back