Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff Light Stuck on

RubenA

Country Flag
new_zealand
Currently the center diff lock light is stuck on even thou the center diff is engaging and disengaging have checked with car on hoist. Just wondering if theres a sensor or something that could have gone out. Thank you

There are two or three switches along the top edge of the Transfer Box (2 for a manual, 3 for an auto).

The one on the right-hand side (looking towards the front of the truck) is the one you want.

Un-plug and unscrew it and test it on the bench with a continuity tester - it might have seized. Nothing will leak or fall out while you do this :icon-wink: .

The switches with the blue leads are the ones - seen here:

DSCN7779.JPG

They are simple things - push to switch off - the ball-end drops into a notch on the selector shaft when the centre diff is engaged (Edited).

DSCN5038.JPG

As the centre diff is all mechanical in a '90' it is unlikely to be caused by anything inside the Transfer box.

Bob.

Last edited:
Or just spray them with wd40 to disperse the water and if the light goes off then start looking for the bare wire .

Sweet will try that today. Can hear the diff when I press the button so don’t think it’s the solenoid

Just stuck my head under there and all I can see is 2 switch’s one with black and one green. No blue

Hello - you mentioned pressing a switch but I thought you had a 90 series? Centre diff is engaged with a lever on my 95. I thought all 90/95 had a 2nd lever next to the gear lever for selecting centre diff and low ratio.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think we're talking at cross-purposes here, there are no "Diff Lock Buttons" on a '90' . . . But there IS one on a '100' :think: .

Which model do you have - put up a picture :icon-question:.

Bob.

Hmmmmm that isn't like my '90' or my '100'.

What year is it ??

Can we see a picture of the whole truck please ?

I'd also like to see the Transfer Lever and its pattern.

It may be some variant that's new to me - every day a school day :doh:.

Bob.

Right - its definitely different to the '90s' we have in the UK. It sounds as though your Transfer Box is like the one in the '100' with electric diff lock, I should have suspected that from your location.

I've not stripped a '100' Transfer box so don't have any insights. It could be simply stuck / failed solenoid which is all fixable. Of course, if the smoke has escaped it could be expensive !

Hopefully someone on here knows this model and what they're talking about and can assist.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Bob.

My Prado TX 1996 has a stick central diff engagement, not a button one. I have never seen an electronic button central diff in a 90 series. A photo of your Prado if don’t mind?

Back