Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Differences between my 80's

Darrell

Can the good people on this forum please explain a few of the differences between my home registered petrol (lpg) 80 and a diesel imported 80 I have just bought,

The import had two batteries, and the LPG one has just the one. Is it 24v or is it the extra the equivalent of a leisure battery?

The oil pressure is less on the diesel, it seems to sit on the one third level, is this ok?

Does the fridge actually kick out cold air or is it just a fan?

There is a big red button just above the auto lever, with some mad Japanese writing around it. Is this a self destruct?

There is a compass and an altimeter in the import, none of these seem to work, am I missing something? The compass has two dials that seem to put it into any given point, but this seems to be the opposite of what a compass does.

The import has a chrome grill which is awful, is it easy to change?

The import has a button that implies it alters the suspension from normal to sport. I can see no difference, is there any way of Knowing if this feature is working or not?

How do I know of it is a 12v or 24v?

Last edited:
From what I understand is that Toyota went with two smaller batteries instead of one large very expensive as the diesels require more oomph to start. It's still 12v.
I think the fridge utilises the aircon to cool stuff, so if aircon doesn't work neither will fridge.
Yes the red button activates the self destruct sequence. If you manage to disarm it within 10seconds then it will allow you to move the gear selector to different positions with the engine off.
If the grill is attached the same as the UK ones it's very easy to change. One clip at the top then (I think) 6 scews hold it on.
If it's the same as a surf the suspension button will firm up the rear shocks, handy when carrying heavy things in the back. There should be an electrical cable and connectors running to the rear shocks if so. You'll know I it works because the ride gets ever so slightly bumpier.
Sorry I can't help with other issues.

You have an HDJ81 by the sounds of it. Fridge works off the AC, sport suspension is adjustable dampers, the compass takes some setting up but they are accurate once done, its not obvious how it works though. Red button takes it out of park without the ignition/brake pedal interlock eg flat battery.

Its a VX limited by the sounds of it.

Just to add my 2p worth....

The import had two batteries, and the LPG one has just the one. Is it 24v or is it the extra the equivalent of a leisure battery?
The import 80 is still 12v electrics, but the starter is 24v. When you turn the key, a solenoid kicks in that sends 24v down to the starter, you will notice that the engine starts very quickly with this setup.

The oil pressure is less on the diesel, it seems to sit on the one third level, is this ok?
That's fine, the OEM oil pressure gauge is a bit of a guessometer anyway.

Does the fridge actually kick out cold air or is it just a fan?
As long as the aircon works, the fridge should work too, mine still has the ice cube trays that do actually freeze. If your import 80 is pre 93 it may be an old R12 system, you can no longer get R12 gas but, you can have it refilled with R426a if you can find someone that will do it.

Low oil pressure could just be a crappy oil pressure sensor (I believe this is a common problem - mine usually reads between 1/4 and 1/3). However, some have suggested that it may also be an indication that your BEBs are about to go. If they haven't been changed (or you're not 100% sure) get them changed. There's some interesting reading in particular in this thread:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/35020-Big-end-shell-replacement

What is the Toyota specification for oil pressure?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Minimum 36psi @ 3000rpm & 4.3psi @ idle stinking hot.

Thanks for the replies.

The car is a VX limited, is that good?

The oil sits between a third and a half, so i am happy with that.
I have been out in it today through deep water and in driving rain, superb car, I love it. Only problem is the rear window seems to have dropped a few inches and will not stay up.

First job is do the beb's, much about the subject on here if you search. a must job.

Is there not a chance it is a 24v motor? (he says hoping against hope)

What year is the vehicle. Generally if its earlier than 1996 it's a 12valve. Might also have a look on the back door as some models had a sticker and of course on the engine block.

Alternatively..... Lets see some pics of the new truck!

UK spec 80's are 24volt starter, as Bat 21 stated, the rest of the electrics are 12volt. I changed mine to a 12volt system but that is another story. If it is an Australian vehicle it will probably have the 12volt starter motor, whenever thinking about mods see what the aussies's use, they travel huge distances into very remote areas so need as reliable a set up as possible.

A point about the oil pressure, after doing the big end bearings (you are going to do them right?) get a good oil pressure gauge (good ones are liquid filled) and check the oil pressure. If it is in spec then you can adjsut your own sender unit which once you have removed it takes about 10 minutes. You will find the info on my thread running on 'MUD'.

regards

Dave

senderhttp://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/365673-my-lc-80-thread.html

Last edited:
UK spec 80's are 24volt starter, as Bat 21 stated, the rest of the electrics are 12volt. I changed mine to a 12volt system but that is another story. If it is an Australian vehicle it will probably have the 12volt starter motor, whenever thinking about mods see what the aussies's use, they travel huge distances into very remote areas so need as reliable a set up as possible.

A point about the oil pressure, after doing the big end bearings (you are going to do them right?) get a good oil pressure gauge (good ones are liquid filled) and check the oil pressure. If it is in spec then you can adjsut your own sebder unit which once you have removed it takes about 10 minutes. You will find the info on my thread running on 'MUD'.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/365673-my-lc-80-thread.html

regards

Dave

A point about the oil pressure, after doing the big end bearings (you are going to do them right?) get a good oil pressure gauge (good ones are liquid filled) and check the oil pressure. If it is in spec then you can adjsut your own sender unit which once you have removed it takes about 10 minutes. You will find the info on my thread running on 'MUD'.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/365673-my-lc-80-thread.html

regards

Dave

That's a terribly bad stutter you have going on there Dave :icon-biggrin:

?... If it is an Australian vehicle it will probably have the 12volt starter motor....
I take it you didn't see the eBay ad then :whistle: :icon-biggrin:

Back