Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Different rear doors (Tail gate)

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I thought all 80 series had the "up and over" rear door?

Is it a "special" or some thing?

Gra.

Attachments

• 80 series.jpg
    80 series.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,449
  • door 2.jpg
    door 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,494
Last edited:
Nope - most common in Aussie and General (UN) trim - those are barn or ambulance door configuration.

Cheers

All RSA 80 GX had the barn doors as do many African spec 80's and 100's. Aussie spec GXL have the tailgate doors.

Ken

Sorry Ken - all SA GX have tailgates - the Aussie imports and ex-General spec got the barn doors. There are a few running round SA but the vast majority are tailgates (both mine were, even though one was a GXL).

If you look at LCCSA trip reports and build threads - or the 2012 Saamtrek pics - you'll see mostly upper and lower tailgates variants.

Cheers

Not as far as I know - the hinges, latches and sills are different. May be worth checking on ToyoDIY though?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree, unlikely to be an easy swap, there are no holes for the side hinges or the catch plates for starters. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done if you were determined.

Mine has the barn doors, and I like them. There's obvious advantages to the tailgate configurations, both the drop down lower part version and the complete lift-up tailgate, but I'm used to my doors and mostly only need to use the left "narrower" door unless I'm loading bigger items.

Snapshot 3 (10-1-2012 10-38 PM).jpg

I had a bit of a snoop at the idea of switching either way from barn doors to tailgate or vice versa and I can't see any chance to do that easily.

It would probably be easier to cut the whole back end off a scrapper than trying to retro-fit hinges, strikers and latch brackets. They're all so different from each other.

I saw a build on the South African land cruiser club site where a 100 series barn doors were swooped over by Mr Cruiser (???) in Zimbabwe. From the pictures it looked pretty easy.....
(sorry but can't find the link...)

If it can easily be done with a 100 series, surely it can be done to a 80 series?

Well it was only my opinion, if someone's done it and it is straightforward, then so be it. I'd like to see the link if you can find it, just as a matter of interest.

Mmm,

From these

100 barn.jpg

To this.
100 up and over.jpg

100 text.jpg

Gra.

Last edited:
Disco’s have one large barn type door and I got on OK with mine, the only “problem” being when someone parks too close behind you and you can’t get in the back. I now prefer the split gate on the 80, no problem with close parkers and you also get a bench seat when the bottom half is down:thumbup:.

Back