Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Does anyone recognize this snorkel ?

Shayne

Guru
Toyota-Black-Rims1.jpg

Obviously its on the wrong side of the car for me but if i can find out who makes it ............

TJM Airtec and the Czech Republic want about 500 quid without delivery for one to fit my truck :violin:

Have a word with West Coast Shayne, Paul and Tom have prepped and raced these vehicles. If they have an Ironman to fit the quality is spot on and I'll wager less than you've been looking at.

I think all snorkels are ugly Trev and i can't fathom why they all kick forward at the top , it's because the one above doesn't that it got listed as a maybe .

I will keep looking , to chop and alter a china cheapo is always an option .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Flint i've been messaging back and forth with Alibaba people for a fortnight trying to get 5 wheels and i still feel no progress has been made . A snorkel is low priority at present .

If any 3.4 petrol Collie owners are looking for a snorkel, there's one going for £39-95 :wtf: on ebay at the moment. I dread to think of the quality but at that price...

In fact there's quite a few cheapo snokels on ebay at the moment around the £50 mark- I think some are for 80 series and 100 series too. Around £70 for 90 series diesel. Hmm, shall I press the button? :shifty:

They are on Amazon too Dave someone obviously bought a container full , quality doesn't really concern me as to my mind its just a plastic pipe , what i would look at is how the water gets out when your driving into heavy rain . I think safari and the like allow it to drain where the head meets the pipe .

Alibaba finally sent me a quote - for 16x6 steel wheels 60 of em when i asked for a set of five 16x10 alloys :icon-rolleyes: , so I won't be asking them about a snorkel .

Where the water gets out.... Errrrr....not with my cheapo china made...

You do get what you pay for, a few years ago I bought a replacement snorkel head when I'd bust mine. It was cheap and may of well been made from a chocolate Easter Egg, I complained and got a refund.

As soon as you rub up against a tree, a cheap snorkel is going to let you down, do it once and do it right, I refer to my earlier post, give West Coast a call, the Ironman quality is as good as Safari. I bought one of these for my 70 series and it had a lot of abuse which it took in it's stride. You really will regret going cheap.

Apart from the no-tech snorkelhead, the build quality of the one I installed is very good. It easily matches the quality of the original toyota snorkel on my 75.

what i would look at is how the water gets out when your driving into heavy rain . I think safari and the like allow it to drain where the head meets the pipe .
I wouldn't think the small amount of water that would get into the engine from rain would do any harm.
I took my Safari head off and fitted a cyclonic head, there are angled vanes on the inside that make the air entering spin and throw dust outwards it then deposits any dust particles towards a little chute at the rear, it may well deal with raindrops in the same way.
This is the only pic I can find that shows the head, you may recognise the location Shayne.

Snork.JPG

Looking at the cheapo ebay snorkels for my 1KZ-TE Collie (like this), which cost £69.99 they use exactly the same photo as the much more expensive genuine Safari snorkels, (model SS180-HF) which cost £250ish

I assume that the Chinese makers of the cheapo version have just nicked the photo from the Safari website and used a Photoshop copy to clone-stamp away the Safari branding. There is just a small chance though that these are identical to the safari snokels (ever the optimist) - has anyone ever bought one to find out?

Aye i recognize that place Chas where me and Clive decided to drive up that little hill in the background just for the hell of it . I think the snorkel head you have might actually be genuine mrT from the 70 series ?

It likely is a clone Dave the thing about quality is in the material , plastic goes brittle with no uv protection and breaks easily . Safari and the rest mention uv in their sales patter .

Personally i think China has finally worked out that quality is an issue that cost's them money and have maybe done something about it . Every wheel i looked at on Alibaba costing circa 40 to 100 dollars can be found on the web being sold by big names in 4x4 for 3 , 4 or even 5 times the price so what does that say about cost and quality ?

Plastic though :think: the return date will be long expired by the time sun kills it ?

I have a brand new oem 70s series head in the shed if you want close up pics.

I guess so Shayne. I was just idly wondering whether Safari buy exactly the same snorkels from exactly the same chinese manufacturer and charge 3x as much for putting their name on. But I would assume that Safari would have some clause in their contract that would stop their supplier from undermining their brand in that way - that's what I would do anyway!

Back