Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving while wearing a plaster cast

Lynn broke hers about 12 years ago. She was told she couldn't drive, and didn't until it was relieved of its cast. You have to be careful with thumbs as the scafoid bone can die. My uncle drove with a broken arm. Probably illegally, but as no accident occurred, no questions were asked, no problems encountered. If you have no problems, no accident, then it's ok. It's ok unless you have an accident, is the thought. Only you can decide Shayne.

Monday tomorrow and i'm starting to sweat a bit about it and doing a bit of googling and it is my scaphoid bone that broke , clean in two right through the middle .

My wrist is fine if a little weak , i can lift a full 1.7l kettle of water . I have started praying i bump into my knee surgeon while at fracture clinic as he was good enough to send me home after major surgery on a broken leg without putting me in plaster , his own decision and against his better judgement so maybe he would have a word with the dodgy arm fella for me :pray:

Hmm, they get really twitchy about the scaphoid bone. It has its own blood supply or something and if this is interrupted it can die off if not dealt with and left to heal well. If I were you Shayne I'd look after it and let it heal up good and proper where it needs to be. I don't know what they have to do if it dies and I don't ever want to know.

Take it easy fella. Let time do its healin'. :eusa-naughty:

Yeah that fits with what i've been reading Rich but i can still cross my fingers , on both hands , and hope for the best :lol: its not actually the break that worries as the down time but what will be will be i suppose :icon-neutral:

I tend to think that the drunk and the elderly should be issued with giant baby walkers, those hoops with wheels on that hold the kids upright. The NHS could save a fortune in decreasing bone breakages. :icon-biggrin:

I think the circumstance of my wrist might have resulted in nothing more than a sprained ankle for anyone else mate , unfortunately i have several steel screws preventing me from twisting my ankle at all .

I think the circumstance of my wrist might have resulted in nothing more than a sprained ankle for anyone else mate , unfortunately i have several steel screws preventing me from twisting my ankle at all .
That's probably what did it Shayne, like you say stone cold sober would have been no different. Maybe a little more painful!
My mum had a melanoma removed from her foot and it's made her quite unsteady on her feet. It's not until one encounters such things that you realise just how much you depend on your feet and ankles working as they should.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As i said dumb luck is all i'm usually careful where i put my bad foot but its a daily thing almost subconscious , accept when i encounter them wonderful paving stones aimed at assisting the partially sighted/blind people around town , i do get some funny looks when i opt to go around the railings and walk on the road instead , but hey i can see the traffic .

Back