Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DRL Module

tsviatko

I need something that will turn on my headlights once the engine gets started. Preferably there will be power control, too, i.e. it'll be able to operate the headlights in 30-40-50-60% of their peak power.

Are you, guys, aware of a such a control unit that will fit a Prado out of the box? It looks like Prado headlights operate in a different way than most other vehicle headlights, i.e. the headlight switch actually interrupts the - signal as opposed to the + one. So all the DRL modules I can find require modifications.

Not sure about the power control (add a dimmer switch maybe ?) but as headlights have an one/off switch which is simply a circuit breaker surely you could just twist the wires together so the circuit couldn't be broken and the lights come on as soon as you turn your key ?

That won't really work out since the lights remain on even when the ignition is off. So if I twist the wires teh lights are gonna stay permanently on as long as the battery is alive.

You can buy DRL units separately which you should be able to adapt to your needs. Though most of the ones I've seen are designed to operate LED (low wattage) lights, so you may need to allow for the higher power of your head lights.

Sorry, I'm not very good with electrickery but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will expand. :)

That won't really work out since the lights remain on even when the ignition is off. So if I twist the wires teh lights are gonna stay permanently on as long as the battery is alive.

I should have thought of that because without the warning buzzer i'd forget to turn my lights off every single time . But the same principal could still work . Headlights are obviously wired direct to the battery with only a circuit breaker on your normal switch . Couldn't you bypass the on/off switch and make the ignition your curcuit breaker instead ? My truck has parking sensors front and back , the back ones take power from the reverse light and the front ones only work when the ignition is on or else they would flatten my battery if someone parked to close and it was left overnight .

Back