Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dubious Interior Mod for Nadine (FJ60) Front Seats

Thom Thinn

Country Flag
united_states
Not sure if this will meet the approval of this group in general. I'm only sharing thiis as a contribution for anyone contemplating options for TLC resto/mods.

A couple months ago I got fed up with the sorry condition of my 33 year old front seats ~ I weighed my options for restoring the seats in my FJ60 with local shops and a few kits available with places in LA such as Specter Off-Road. At the end of the day, I decided to modify some Porsche 944 seats I found on Craigslist for $350.oo . ..I waited to report the outcome until I put in some time and milers with them.
Here is my conclusion: They don't suck, at all.. .not one bit.
I have only one sight twinge of remorse and that for having to destroy the Toyo seats to acquire the proper mounting bracket configuration.

The process was simple. I tac-welded a jig onto the Toyo mounting brackets, holding them in the proper position. Next I cut the mounts off, leaving the jig in tact. I cut the mounting lugs off of the Porsche seats and transferred the jig with FJ60 mounts onto the 944 seats. ..welded them in to place and cut the jig away.

They are ridiculously comfortable, the color match is nearly imperceptible. Aaaand, of course the leather raises an element of sporty, luxury something that my rig didn't really have so much of before.
Here are two photos. Comments and criticisms welcome, of course.

image2.JPG image1-2.JPG

Last edited:
Brave move, and IMO a vast improvement.

I've suffered with my back for the last 15 years or so, and a long journey in the 80 with a collapsed driver seat used to be a nightmare.

I've installed the leather fully adjustable and cleared almost 2,000 km over the Christmas break, and every hour in the drivers' seat was a pleasure.

I hope you get the same benefits. Good call Thom :thumbup:

I tend to agree with Clive on this. However, reading your post, it occurs to me that you are writing it with a big cruiser grin on your face. That means you've done the right thing. Would I personally have cut the mountings off, tricky. I would probably have done all I could to avoid it, caused myself a big headache creating an overengineered solution to a simple problem, and kept the old seats somewhere gathering dust thinking I may restore them some day. Or do that instead.

This is, I'm afraid, the start of the slippery slope called modification, as it can no longer be restoration.

Is that a 4"lift and 35" tyres I see on the horizon? :)

The only thing that matters is that it pleases you Thom. That said, I like 'em.

Last edited:
That's a nice modification.
IMO people get confused when they have an old vehicle - just because its old does not make it a classic. But they still keep their 20+ year old stock mobile locked away believing that it is some sort of long term investment. And there is the key do you have the vehicle to use and enjoy or does it represent part of a portfolio?
For me, and I think for many of us on this forum, we have them to enjoy and use them.
For me, our 40 year old (this month) 40 series is our only vehicle, we off-road, carry our logs and also enjoy maintaining it and it is modified - the driver's seat is from a DAF truck weight adjustable, lumber support, armrests (retractable) and comfortable enough that we have driven over 800 kms (500 miles) in one day. Passenger seat is not weight adjustable but is also from a truck and is very comfortable.
To be a member on here, I believe, people are committed to the brand and there absolutely nothing wrong with modifying to make it yours.
Land cruisers are made to be used.

Regards,

Love it :clap: love the 60 series Toyota's true tank the likes of which we will never see again , if i was offered a drive of one i think i would be scared to say yes in case i got addicted .

I agree so far with the comments, I managed to fabricate adapter brackets to accommodate the Mazda seat, without destroying the OEM seat, likewise, when I get around to fitting the Mazda passenger seat.

(Rich, I've had the go-ahead from Aura :dance:).

So that will be my Springtime task, but I doubt very much whether I'll keep the original seats, I don't have the storage space and what for?

They are finished, so they will only gather dust and be in the way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldn't get too excited Rich, I'm not even convinced these OEM seats will be the same as yours.

You'll see when I've got it out and can take some all around photos, or when you get here... :handgestures-finge:

Back