Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dunlop Tire Age

sherqa

I replaced one of my R17 Dunlop Tire with the Spare Tire, I checked the Production Year it shows 2002 and as now it 2011 so its 9 Years Old but its never used and its like new tire, so IS IT SAFE TO USE, please advise

You should inspect for any perishing or cracks - and any cuts it might have sustained from something sharp flying up underneath the car.
Has it been living underneath the car or on a carrier at the rear? If the latter, then it might have been exposed to UV (your neck of the woods has a reputation for heat and sunshine :mrgreen: ) which tyres generally don't like.
If it all looks ok, give it a try - I wouldn't attempt any land speed records or solo expeditions into the Rub' al Khali until you've put a 1000 or 2 km on it ;)

Cheers,

Two of my tyres just changed had 1994 on them ! L/C made in 1995 ! They were a bit perished.

Frank

Dear Andrew,

I inspected the tyre, it looks OK, there is no cuts, the rubber is also soft not hard and without any puncture as it was kept for spare (never used), it was kept underneath.

I am using it since last week, it seems ok to me, some friends told some times old tyres burst on the way due to speed and heat but I am not driving it above 100kmh and my route also not too long max 15 or 20 km one trip

sherqa said:
Dear Andrew,

I inspected the tyre, it looks OK, there is no cuts, the rubber is also soft not hard and without any puncture as it was kept for spare (never used), it was kept underneath.

I am using it since last week, it seems ok to me, some friends told some times old tyres burst on the way due to speed and heat but I am not driving it above 100kmh and my route also not too long max 15 or 20 km one trip

-- good luck. heat normally comes from under inflation so keep the pressures right.

Back