Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dye Leather Car Seats

I'm getting there shouldn't take too much longer :pray:

1005_zpsfd1aa8a3.jpg

1004_zpsfc96f721.jpg

1003_zpse63b9985.jpg

Why i decided to dye seats in the first place .
3002_zps311852ea.jpg

3001_zps85d684fb.jpg

I decided to fill the cracks a little shy of flush so the leather retains some of its character and also because i hope the filler will hold up better when clothing is not brushing directly against it .
DSCF1730_zpsd897f26d.jpg

DSCF1731_zps05f88b55.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Excellent job there Shayne, not completely filling the cracks worked very well, I presume the shine will gradually wear off with use.

Excellent job there Shayne, not completely filling the cracks worked very well, I presume the shine will gradually wear off with use.

Cheers the shine looks far worse in pics than it really is , obviously the camera likes things that reflect light . To be honest i'd be much happier with no shine at all but considering the seats were ready for the scrapyard its a fair compromise . They look ok in the truck though its still obviously leather just looks like someone cleaned them with that shiny stuff valets always put on your dash . Just hope i can post a pic in a year showing no sign of wear on the colour and far less reflection on the camera .

Hi Shane

I would like to do the same after seeing the good results you got. Can you confirm this is what is required:
- Clean seats with acetone
- Fieblings acrylic sealer/resolene
- Leather binder and heavy filler is used on cracks

What are the quantities needed?

Also does the dye work on vinyl - the sides of my seats are vinyl

Thanks
Tobie

Im not sure you will get a reply from shayne as im sure he is working away for a little while.

Any chance of some updated pics on this one Shayne. How are they going 14 months on???

Still good and pics are pointless because the camera will not pick up the wear that can be seen with the human eye . In truth i have been lazy because i had every intention of topping up on the topcoat protective stuff (can't even remember what its called) . There's a tiny bit of wear on the drivers seat edge but i doubt anyone but me would notice the seats were once blue . 10 minutes will make it new again when i get around to it . The crack filler and binding stuff has astonished me , these seats were in really bad nick and i had little faith just filling the gaps would work but i reckon now the seats will outlast the truck .

I am hoping to get to Lincomb do you want me to leave the seats as is so you can judge for yourself ?

Last edited:
That would be great bud. The seats in the new truck are cloth but in really really good nick. However I can get hold of a set of leather but they are quite tired. So still not sure what to do.

What i did was extreme and not exactly cheap , PITA of a job to be honest , but that's because i changed the colour and the seats to start with were only fit for the scrap yard . If i only wanted to repair instead of change the colour i think it would have been easy to make them good again theres plenty of repair kits out there .

2 year update

update%20pics%20002_zpscx5hhl5d.jpg

update%20pics%20003_zpsoc5qsxw7.jpg

They would have fared better had i made any effort to maintain them , the acrylic sealer should have been applied a few times over the following months to build it up but once the seats were back in use i just forgot about them .

Not bad wear for two years, and like you said they may have worn a bit nicer if you re-applied the sealer. Not a huge fan of regular leather seats anyway, would chose cloth over leather any day! Unless I was buying a top end sports car...

On a second note, 2 years have gone by so quick! I remember the start of this thread like it was yesterday :lol:

Considering the state that the seats were in originally, I think you did very well to restore them to the level you did and given the circumstances, not bad wear for 2 years.

On a second note, 2 years have gone by so quick! I remember the start of this thread like it was yesterday :lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking! :shock:

It's a credit to the furniture clinic products that the cracks in the leather many of which were holed all the way through show no signs of giving up . The dye and sealer was never intended for use on car seats and that was just a gamble i took . Seems like donkeys years ago to me and i'm reasonably confident i could return them to their finished state in a couple of hours without drying time (refit the following morning) so yeah it was a success in its own way i had nothing to lose because the seats were dead and the original blue was nauseous :puke-right:

Back