Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR Delete by the Dealership!

LC.KSA

Country Flag
saudi_arabia
[ UPDATE: I have added the list of parts replaced by the dealer in the Replies below]

Good Day Landcruiser Club Members,

I thought I would share my recent experience with the Toyota dealership regarding black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe when accelerating.

Before I start let me put some facts below:
  • English is not my first language, so please excuse my spelling, grammar & vocabulary.
  • Car year/model: 2019 Landcruiser 200 series V8 4.5 diesel engine.
  • Middle east market specification.
  • The car comes with factory fitted EGR.
  • The Car is NOT fitted with a DPF from factory.
  • EGR valves has only been introduced in the middle east market landcruisers from 2018 and later. (2017 and below did not have EGR’s fitted on them.

So, it all started when my odometer had hit around the 15k km mark when I started to notice a black shade of smoke behind my car when I accelerate ( it was only clear at night time when other vehicles are flashing thier lights behind me). I went to the dealership and told them about this issue and their reply was that it was normal for diesel engines to emit black smoke between now and then and I shouldn’t be worried. So I continued using the car for a while and the issue did not go away.

It was until I joined a WhatsApp group for 200 series owners in saudi arabia when I knew that this issue was not normal and everybody was complaining about it and arguing that why the pre EGR models (2017 and earlier) did not have the same issue.

So all the group members have raised this issue officially to Toyota corporate in japan to seek guidance on this matter. Toyota has responded by sending a technical team to saudi arabia to collect samples of the affected vehicles for testing.

After two weeks the Japanese team left the country with no official report to the consumers.

Then suddenly the dealer started to contact the owners individually (including myself) and asking them to hand over their vehicles for maintenance to fix the smoke issue.

I took my vehicle to the dealer and three days later they called me to come and collect my vehicle . When I asked them what have they done to the vehicle they said that they have deleted the EGR, removed both catalyst converters and replaced them with straight pipes and have done reprogramming of the ECU.

Things I have noticed since they have done the changes are:
  • No smoke at all even with heavy acceleration.
  • The engine temp on the gauge is a little-bit cooler. ( don’t know why).
  • The car is much more responsive and not as heavy when accelerating.

I asked the maintenance rep in the dealership to provide me with the list of parts they have changed so other owners can benefit from it if they face the same issue. (I will attach soon)

Note: I don’t really know about the legality of the dealership’s fix as I don’t think that EGR is mandatory where I live (it might be a different story in other countries)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a free tuning upgrade to me.

How do you find the 200 now? They are really nice cruisers

Interesting thread. That list could be an eye opener. Clearly if the aim is for emissions out the back to be clean, and they are sooty, the aim is to return to being clean. It seems Mr T has done what private owners have been doing to their vehicles for some time as they know too well the horrors caused by feeding an engine it’s own waste!

Well done Toyota and people power. :clap: :thumbup:

I have Added the list of the parts replaced.

88003D4E-1800-483A-8029-EF988EA2F329.jpeg 5AC452FE-664B-4BA1-A2AE-2B816990D6C8.jpeg E443C259-23EF-4E0B-B21D-D27A6A5894BA.jpeg 1434556E-91C3-4A45-9BB4-7A119B5368B0.jpeg 708BD70F-2669-4318-9DA5-780938D76A87.jpeg 23DE7E5B-9BE5-4301-93D6-4FA087D8A1DD.jpeg

Sounds like you got a free tuning upgrade to me.

How do you find the 200 now? They are really nice cruisers
Thanks Stumog, yup thats right, free tuning under warranty.

The 200 is an excellent vehicle, you get the best of both worlds with these vehicles, extreme off road capability and a comfortable family vehicle at the same time.

Thanks

Interesting thread. That list could be an eye opener. Clearly if the aim is for emissions out the back to be clean, and they are sooty, the aim is to return to being clean. It seems Mr T has done what private owners have been doing to their vehicles for some time as they know too well the horrors caused by feeding an engine it’s own waste!

Well done Toyota and people power. :clap: :thumbup:
Thanks StarCruiser, it is indeed an eye opener and the reason I am mentioning it here is that many people might benefit from this fix to do it on their vehicles (depends on the legality of the fix where they live off course).
I hope toyota starts working on improving the EGR issue ASAP.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mr LCKSA from what i have read of your posts you do not have to excuse yourself for your written spelling or any other use of the english language to tell the truth its better than most never dumb yourself down if the members dont understand something they will ask if you mean this part or that part or ask for a picture just to be sure and that was a very good share on the EGR delete

Mr LCKSA from what i have read of your posts you do not have to excuse yourself for your written spelling or any other use of the english language to tell the truth its better than most never dumb yourself down if the members dont understand something they will ask if you mean this part or that part or ask for a picture just to be sure and that was a very good share on the EGR delete

:text-+1:
I was thinking exactly the same Steve.
Thank you gentlemen, appreciate your kind words.

Hi LC KSA,

I just bought 2020 LC200 diesel and I think I am having the same problem. I live in KSA. I would like to know more about the issue with Toyota dealership and how about going to do the same thing with removing the egr valve

[ UPDATE: I have added the list of parts replaced by the dealer in the Replies below]

Good Day Landcruiser Club Members,

I thought I would share my recent experience with the Toyota dealership regarding black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe when accelerating.

Before I start let me put some facts below:
  • English is not my first language, so please excuse my spelling, grammar & vocabulary.
  • Car year/model: 2019 Landcruiser 200 series V8 4.5 diesel engine.
  • Middle east market specification.
  • The car comes with factory fitted EGR.
  • The Car is NOT fitted with a DPF from factory.
  • EGR valves has only been introduced in the middle east market landcruisers from 2018 and later. (2017 and below did not have EGR’s fitted on them.

So, it all started when my odometer had hit around the 15k km mark when I started to notice a black shade of smoke behind my car when I accelerate ( it was only clear at night time when other vehicles are flashing thier lights behind me). I went to the dealership and told them about this issue and their reply was that it was normal for diesel engines to emit black smoke between now and then and I shouldn’t be worried. So I continued using the car for a while and the issue did not go away.

It was until I joined a WhatsApp group for 200 series owners in saudi arabia when I knew that this issue was not normal and everybody was complaining about it and arguing that why the pre EGR models (2017 and earlier) did not have the same issue.

So all the group members have raised this issue officially to Toyota corporate in japan to seek guidance on this matter. Toyota has responded by sending a technical team to saudi arabia to collect samples of the affected vehicles for testing.

After two weeks the Japanese team left the country with no official report to the consumers.

Then suddenly the dealer started to contact the owners individually (including myself) and asking them to hand over their vehicles for maintenance to fix the smoke issue.

I took my vehicle to the dealer and three days later they called me to come and collect my vehicle . When I asked them what have they done to the vehicle they said that they have deleted the EGR, removed both catalyst converters and replaced them with straight pipes and have done reprogramming of the ECU.

Things I have noticed since they have done the changes are:
  • No smoke at all even with heavy acceleration.
  • The engine temp on the gauge is a little-bit cooler. ( don’t know why).
  • The car is much more responsive and not as heavy when accelerating.

I asked the maintenance rep in the dealership to provide me with the list of parts they have changed so other owners can benefit from it if they face the same issue. (I will attach soon)

Note: I don’t really know about the legality of the dealership’s fix as I don’t think that EGR is mandatory where I live (it might be a different story in other countries)

Thanks

I have 2020 LC200 diesel and I think it has the same issue with EGR. As i am also living in Saudi Arabia, I would like hear about how to proceed with toyota dealership in KSA and if there a WhatsApp group, I would kindly to join.

Thanks

I have 2020 LC200 diesel and I think it has the same issue with EGR. As i am also living in Saudi Arabia, I would like hear about how to proceed with toyota dealership in KSA and if there a WhatsApp group, I would kindly to join.

Thanks
Hi,
2020 Landcruiser came without EGR in saudi arabia. The EGR fitted Landcruisers only came in 2018 & 2019

Hi,
2020 Landcruiser came without EGR in saudi arabia. The EGR fitted Landcruisers only came in 2018 & 2019

Salam LC KSA,

How is that even possible? EGR is mandatory in all new cars. It is not an easy process for a company like Toyota do that right away.

Salam LC KSA,

How is that even possible? EGR is mandatory in all new cars. It is not an easy process for a company like Toyota do that right away.

it all depends on the targeted market and its environmental regulations. We are just lucky its not as strict as other countries. For Landcruisers it has been always this way in saudi arabia and GCC that it comes without EGR the issue only came with 2018 and 2019 and what made it worse is toyota only fitted EGR but no DPF That is why people started complaining about the soot coming out from the exhaust. Toyota never introduced the DPF in all Landcruiser models in saudi.

it all depends on the targeted market and its environmental regulations. We are just lucky its not as strict as other countries. For Landcruisers it has been always this way in saudi arabia and GCC that it comes without EGR the issue only came with 2018 and 2019 and what made it worse is toyota only fitted EGR but no DPF That is why people started complaining about the soot coming out from the exhaust. Toyota never introduced the DPF in all Landcruiser models in saudi.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

I have same model and year 2019 in ksa, please contact me 0508918950
Thanks

Back