Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ELCO drawers

G

Tony Wrote
For maximum storage and to avoid the pack and unpack scenario a system two drawers, one above the other, is better. It gives the option of having three independent storage areas. It allows the space behind the back seats to be loaded up to the roof without having to dig down through stuff to find other stuff at the bottom.
Weight versus strength is the issue.
At the risk of sounding smug I think I have stumbled across a reasonable compromise; a very solid 3/4 ply set of drawers with half or more of the weight cut away.
The option of using heavy duty filing cabinets might work, but they can be pretty heavy and would rattle.
Out there somewhere is a commercial storage system that is perfect for the job, but I could not find it.
Flight cases, made to measure, the sort of things stage shows carry audio equipment around in, are designed for transporting stuff in vehicles. The trouble with flight cases is that they are generally made out of 10mm ply and its not strong enough for continuous heavy duty use. They are also just as expensive as a set of drawers made by a joiner.
Hi Tony
I have been looking at this issue for a few days now and still have not found the ideal material for the job YET but I will at some stage.
What I am looking at is some thing that is light but strong as you have said and can be put together and taken apart fairly easly. It should be able to adjust to what you need and be able to be added to when you want. This sounds great but not as easy as it may seem at first. The other issue I have is the cost and trying to keep it down as far as possible. Another issue for me is the fact that last year I ruptured a disk in my lower back and now find it very difficult to do a lot of the things I took for granted before. Thats why now I am looking at weight, the drawers not mine Im sick of looking at mine. I had a talk with a guy that runs a pine furniture shop and he said he can make what I want in pine but said he thinks that the pine would not be strong enough. He suggested MDF and he can make what I want in this material. I have to give him drawings of what I want and he will give me a price. Now I know that MDF is cheap to buy by the sheet but I think it is heavy but how heavy I dont know yet. I looked at perspex but it is light but too btittle. Ply is heavy but strong, and why carry all that extra weight and then bother to see what you are getting to the gallon or litre of diesel. Sheet tin could work because it is light but I reakon it would be very noisy, so no way, if you lot are like me I hate one rattle in the Cruiser never mind a whole rear section clanging away.
I will just keep looking ,as you say tony the answer is out there some where.
John C
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Ireland

Most home made drawer systems, including Julien's links, are one drawer high.
For maximum storage and to avoid the pack and unpack scenario a system two drawers, one above the other, is better. It gives the option of having three independent storage areas. It allows the space behind the back seats to be loaded up to the roof without having to dig down through stuff to find other stuff at the bottom.
Weight versus strength is the issue.
At the risk of sounding smug I think I have stumbled across a reasonable compromise; a very solid 3/4 ply set of drawers with half or more of the weight cut away.
The option of using heavy duty filing cabinets might work, but they can be pretty heavy and would rattle.
Out there somewhere is a commercial storage system that is perfect for the job, but I could not find it.
Flight cases, made to measure, the sort of things stage shows carry audio equipment around in, are designed for transporting stuff in vehicles. The trouble with flight cases is that they are generally made out of 10mm ply and its not strong enough for continuous heavy duty use. They are also just as expensive as a set of drawers made by a joiner.
Regards to all Tony

Back