Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Problem

Gilbert v H

Hello,

My radio, clock and interior light are not working. It seemed like a loose contact somewhere first, as they went on and off occasionally, but now they are not working anymore for good.

What can that be? The fuses in seem ok, saying that I cannot identify a fuse, which would cover these three parts.

Thanks

Gilbert

Can't find my manual at the moment Gilbert but I'm sure all three are on the radio fuse.
Or is it the dome fuse under the bonnet that feeds the radio fuse? can't remember!!

Non of my fuses (little box down left of the steering wheel) actually says radio (description on the lid). I could not find anything in my Haynes Manual either. So which one is the radio and dome fuse?
It's an H reg import, in case that's makes a difference.

Pretty sure it's the same fuse as the cigarette lighter. (My aftermarket radio and clock went off when I blew that one recently. Discovered the rating of the fuse already there was too low.)

Just had a look at the Max Ellery manual.
The interior lights (and I suspect the other things too) are fed from a 20amp relay labeled ''Dome'' which is in the fuse box under the bonnet.
I can't see any relays so you may have to find out why the fuse blew in the first place. It could be a faulty bulb or door switch or something more complex like the amplifier chip in the radio going down.

Good luck, knowing Toyota's' it will be something simple :thumbup:

yup, fuses for those 3 are under the bonnet, i blew one recently and searched through all the other fuses in the car before i found out that this fuse was in the engine bay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, the fuse is OK, (I've tried a new one). Any other ideas, or tips how to find the fault?

Thank you

There are plenty of 'earths' that have multiple connections to one bolt, I would start by checking that each unit has an earth or power, interior light is easiest to start with but this may be 'earth return' from the doors so here you would be looking for a permanent live, and then go from there.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
There are plenty of 'earths' that have multiple connections to one bolt, I would start by checking that each unit has an earth or power, interior light is easiest to start with but this may be 'earth return' from the doors so here you would be looking for a permanent live, and then go from there.

regards

Dave

Thanks for the tips.
I dont even have a proper instrument to measure this, I rubbish with electrics. Probably need to get a car electrician to look at it.

This morning it started working again :thumbup: , but this afternoon it stopped again :thumbdown: :D

Sounds like a dodgy connection to me. Check the wiring from the output off
The fuse. This may need re making.
And check the negatives as already suggested.

Hope this helps

Back