Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical gremlins - any thoughts

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
So a weird thing happened yesterday. We went through some quite deep water - not stupidly deep, but deeper than we would normally go through. Continued driving. Stopped to play in the creek (we're touring around the US at the moment). Drove. Stopped. Drove to the campsite. Stopped. Went to start the car to shuffle it over and couldn't get it to start. Starter was trying to turn over the engine, and the battery was fine, but it wouldn't fire up.

I also noticed that the gauges weren't working. Dash lights were working.

Pulled a few fuses - everything fine.

Turned the key again to see what was working in case it was the ignition, and noticed the gauges spring to life. Turned it over and it started fine.

Same thing happened this morning.

Its a Diesel engine, so the only thing I can think is a short near the fuel pump, although that doesn't explain the gauges....

Any other thoughts anyone? We are about to drive down to Argentina over the next 18 months, so I could do with figuring out what the problem while we are still in the US if possible.

Any thoughts much appreciated. TIA

N

Not the fix your looking for but waters getting somewhere it shouldn't and if you drench your engine bay in this stuff i'm inclined to think it won't any more , looks great to .

1659395440989.png

Same thoughts here. Get the contact cleaning spray out. Especially on the connectors near the engine block. Also check out the grounding points. On the 80, there is a hard to get to ground point between the bulkhead and the engine. Of course this is the one that is used by the fuel cut out valve.
If it happens again : locate the fuel cut out valve and measure if there is 12v between the connector and the - on the battery. If you can measure 12v, then have a closer look at the ground points.
I hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Thanks chaps. @Firewout that's a great place to start. I'll have a look later. If not, the Spanish could come in handy.....

My electrics went a tad Tits up when i was over enthusiastic with the power washer in the engine bay, I gave the alternator a blow out with the air line and Plenty of wd40 sprayed through the alternator cooling fins, Later that day all was well.... Could be residue water still sloshing about in the alternator

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back