Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Oil

augustinevvb

Country Flag
ghana
Hi everyone on here!
I just got my cruiser being operated by V8 D4D 1VD. just want a recommended oil for servicing, something i can DIY when necessary.

Hello.

What does the user manual say about grade and rating of oil ?

Hello.

What does the user manual say about grade and rating of oil ?
Hi, am attaching the user manual here. But will certainly go through it today. People talking about synthetic oil and stuffs which i got no clue.

Attachments

• Toyota Land Cruiser Owner.pdf
    13.4 MB · Views: 70
  • Toyota Land Cruiser QRG.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
so i got this for gasoline engines
1619479686480.png

SAE-OW-20 is about all you need to know , from the cheapest supermarket to Harrods they will sell organic , semi synthetic or fully synthetic of the same .

Synthetic is more expensive but tolerates temperature much better than organic and has a longer working lifespan . My trucks are all 20+ years old so i tend to use semi synthetic as i assume they were designed to run on dinosaur oil (organic) so i hope to get some benefit from modernization while respecting they ain't so young and tight as they once were .

Modern engines are lighter and less tolerant so fully synthetic SAE OW-20 would be my choice for your truck . Personally i don't believe brand names are anything other than fancy advertising and it all comes from the same tank at the processing plant .

Its about preserving your engine , longevity , adding any engine oil at all is unlikely to prevent you driving home .

Others perhaps more clued in than me may feel differently but to me its just a lubricant to prevent wear .

I use semi synthetic 15W-40 in my petrol 5VZ-FE engine, this is acceptable in the user manual plus I live in the subtropics so it's never below about 8 degrees even in the harshest of winters.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Guru for the in-depth knowledge. i will just stick to the full synthetic.

Be aware that "Guru" is a digital trophy award which actually means i talk to much :lol: I rank pretty low with regards to the mechanical knowledge hosted on this forum by its many members .

Back