Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine pre heaters?

andy500

Country Flag
great_britain
I'm about to get my hands on a 120 diesel. My old 90 took an age to warm up in cold weather, even with the warm up button (which looks the same on the 120) and I did always think about fitting some sort of engine pre heater that i could plug into the mains on a timer.
Wearing woolly gloves while driving is just so uncivilised :wtf:

They must really help fuel economy and long term engine life as well, giving the engine warm oil to work with from the off.

Two sorts of mains powered pre heater are available - first is a 2kw coolant heater with integral pump that you plumb into your cooling system, second type is a heat pad that sticks to the sump and warms the oil up. And yes, you unplug before driving off. Unless you have a reaaaalllly long extension lead.

Does anyone have experiences good/bad of either?

Ta! Andy

Wouldn't have thought the 120 needed that really - my temp gauge is well under way after about 500metres with the engine pre-heater engaged...

Wouldn't have thought the 120 needed that really - my temp gauge is well under way after about 500metres with the engine pre-heater engaged...
That sounds suspiciously like my 90's warm-up capabilities were a bit broken then, unless they have a different system.
Seriously - 500 yards and you have heat coming out of the vents if you use the warm up / pre heat button? Slow warmup was a big negative with my 90 - if it's as quick as you say I'll be well chuffed.

Depends on external temp but it's always impressively quick. Check it out before investing - you may be able to spend those pennies on something else :)

I guess it depends on how long you have it running for before driving off
but i'm sure mine doesn't get that warm in 500 metres.

I'll test it tomorrow and post the results

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the freezing temperatures my 120 would offer warm air out the vents in less than a mile with the power heat button on. Worked very well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Our 90 warms up faster than the new Van we have - heat from the vents within a mile, changes into top after about 2 miles. When its verrrrry cold, we usually fast idle to demist/de ice.
Steve

Very impressed with this - just done my first proper cold (9 degrees) start and with the warmup activated it does indeed get warm air coming through the vents damn quick - certainly under a mile or so I reckon.
Good stuff!
Sub-zero temps might delay it a few hundred yards, but it's looking like the heater is as quick as a large petrol engine.

Almost pointless but I have it blowing onto the feet and the recirculation on as it sucks air from under the glove box. I figure it's then warming warm air instead of outside air so will be quicker by a few yards ;)

Just been out in mine and from firing it up and moving off straight away its warm within 1/2 mile
and hot after 1 mile

Back