Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC150 Engine whining noise - Prado 150 3.0 140kw 2011

lc150-fan

Country Flag
czech_republic
Hi all,

The question is related to LC 150 3.0 140kw from 2011.

Anyone had this whining noise (at 0:11-0:12 sec):

Currently the car has 214.000 km on the clock, injectors done at 172.000 km.
The new injectors are within spec (within -1, +1 interval).
The car runs just fine, no trouble codes or lack of power.

Some findings:
- the noise is present only when the engine is cold. After it warms up (70C+) no such noise.
- when the engine is already warmed up 70C+, no noise at all.
- the noise is not continious. When stationary if I rev up and then leave it idle, no noise. Also, after accelerating when driving constant speed (as on the video) after 2-3 sec I hear it. But after, if I drive same speed I don't notice it, only after accelerating.

One mechanic told me it could be "air in fuel supply pump".

So my questions are:

1) Anyone has ever faced with the same problem/sound/noise?

2) What could be the issue when it only happens on cold engine?

... the thing is that I already found two other people with the same problem (whining noise). The noise is the same but in their engine it is more frequent. Also they have it only on cold engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sounds like one of the belts to me. No expert on this engine but doesn't sound mechanical. Steering pump on my hilux sounds a bit like it on lock too.

Sounds like one of the belts to me. No expert on this engine but doesn't sound mechanical. Steering pump on my hilux sounds a bit like it on lock too.
Thanks for reply. I dont hear the sound from the steering pump when stationary and turning left-right.
If it was a belt noise, I would expect to hear it continuously ... dont know....

Can you always reproduce it?
Yes, now when the ambient temp is around 5-10C I can hear the noise every day (when cold engine). I dont recall if there was such a noise when the ambient temp was 20C+.

Sounds more like boost leak to me. Certainl6 not air in fuel line, whatever that means

Does it do it in every gear?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds more like boost leak to me. Certainl6 not air in fuel line, whatever that means

Does it do it in every gear?
Haven't checked if the noise happens in every gear (I would say yes, but need to check on that)...

Back