Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ENGINE REBUILD

kamaal hussain

Country Flag
uk
Hi,

I have a '92 Land cruiser 80 series, 4.2 td.

The engine has been run on veg oil and the oil inside the engine has gone ' jelly ' like and is now running rough and leaking oil when running.

Anyone out there that does engine rebuilds on these?

I'm based in the midlands.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a '92 Land cruiser 80 series, 4.2 td.

The engine has been run on veg oil and the oil inside the engine has gone ' jelly ' like and is now running rough and leaking oil when running.

Anyone out there that does engine rebuilds on these?

I'm based in the midlands.

Thanks.
[/QUO

Do you still deal in a few cruisers?

Prices are high to rebuild. Would be a cheaper option buying a rough truck for the engine.

There is if you know where to look lol.

Price varies. Problem is finding someone who can do it correctly

If and when you get it rebuilt the cost will outweigh any savings from running it on veg oil many times over..... even if the veg oil is free
The oil turned to jelly because it wasn't changed often enough..... running veg oil you need to halve the normal interval at least to be safe , this alone normally makes veg oil no cheaper than running EN590

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have never used any of the vid products but wynns fuel system cleaner did wonders for an old transit tipper that had been run on "crap" ?

Some call it snake oil but as your problems are due to lack of maintenance i cant see how they might do any harm , though id do a basic oil and filter service before i used them while expecting todo another service shortly after .

Still thousands cheaper than a rebuild .

Most of the carbon on the valves and piston is diamond hard and needs chipping off. He breaks the golden rule "Don't put anything down the air inlet except fresh air". eg If loose carbon is disturbed it can mechanically wreck the engine, especially diesel ones.

But if you don't have the DIY skill or the money to pay somebody who has gives the owner 3 options .

Drive it until its dead , or sell it for less than its worth to buy a car worth even less .

Or youtube .

Last edited:
Been offered an engine for 3.7k complete, which may be the better option as I could still sell the old engine for 1k perhaps

Blimey I'll have to sell a couple lol. Is that what people are charging now?

Not sure about the write up. Might be genuine and worth a call or a chat. Cant call this one. You do get pissed about no end selling on market place which may explain. I waited all day Sunday for a muppet to collect a little vitara who claimed he'd already insured it etc. Guess what.....no show.
20230125_214809.jpg

Unless you know the history, buying a used engine is always a gamble and one that I personally wouldn't do unless I intended to rebuild it. I took this route with a 2.9 V6 Sierra motor some years ago when I discovered the block was cracked. The used engine I bought ( from a Granada) turned out to be nigh on perfect after I'd stripped it so I just put it back together with new crank bearings and cleaned up the head and valves. Oh, I also stuck a fast road cam in it while I was in there! :icon-biggrin::thumbup:.

If this was me, I'd be going for a 1hd-fte upgrade from the 100, maybe with a mechanical pump...while I'm in there!

If this was me, I'd be going for a 1hd-fte upgrade from the 100, maybe with a mechanical pump...while I'm in there!
You'd be lucky to fit a 2 bolt mechanical pump to a fte as the electronic pump has 4 bolts to attach it to the engine..

Better move is to buy an aftermarket stand alone ecu and wire it in. Then you get to tune it up instead of down grading to a mechanical pump.

If I remember correctly, you have to use a 1hz timing gear case, but you'd also need a tweaked 1hz pump.
More info here: facebook.com/groups/478360412729487/
They are known as a 1hd-ftm

If replacing the engine it's still makes more sense to upgrade it to the 1hd-fte... there's a bit more work required with the wiring harness though.
A nice little project, but as you say some people don't have the time.

Last edited:
Back