Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine suddenly dies

Temujin

Country Flag
uk
Hi all.

Recently purchased a TLC 1993 4.2TD ( as my previous one got stolen after having it for 10 years ), my current one has been running beautifully for the last 3 months, but a few weeks ago the engine suddenly died whilst driving. It started again, but soon as I started to drive off it died again, called the AA out, the patrol man said it was the fuel filter lift pump - so he bypassed it so I could get home.
Fitted a brand new genuine lift pump, primed it etc... the Cruiser ran lovely for the next few weeks but last week the engine died again whilst driving - this time it fired up immediately and I drove for about 10 miles to work, on the way home it died again, I was able to start it and get home.
I'm faced with the dilemma that my Cruiser can cut out at any time which makes it dangerous to drive on fast roads.

I would be most grateful for any advice/help on how to solve this fault.

Very kind regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The filter is a classic problem, while you have the tank open, run a small bore syhon into a bucket, you can then hoover out the rubbish that may gave collected over the years.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice , the only problem I'm facing at the moment is that I can't source the fuel pump filter - tried my local Toyota dealers - no luck.

Kind regards,

You don't need a filter, tip the rear seats forward pull up the carpet & you will see an inspection cover, remove & you can then remove the tank filter, clean & re fit

Hope Karl don't mind but
20170527_165101(0).jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the Photo - that seems really clogged up!

Kind regards,

Well cleaning it out solved the problem

Great and Thanks!
I'll let you guys know how I get on :)

Kind regards,

Odd. Checked mine recently at about 130k miles and it was like new. Not the slightest trace of dirt in the tank neither.

No

problem nick.
It's always a good time for people to learn when they come out with me...... Lol
See you read this forum long/often enough you tend to learn the answers but theres nothing quite like seeing it.

You don't need a filter, tip the rear seats forward pull up the carpet & you will see an inspection cover, remove & you can then remove the tank filter, clean & re fit

On my 1995, I had to remove the left seat of the middle row to get enough slack in the carpet to access the cover...

It's easy once you do, the cover comes off easily giving access to the top of the tank, then it's 8 screws IIRC, remove the pipes and disconnect the electrics and the whole thing lifts out with a bit of a wiggle.

My filter looked brand new as well, but it was worth a look after seeing Nick's clogged example. If you use a toothbrush to clean it up, make sure it's not yours... :lol:

Back