Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Swap VM for 3B

yromero98

Country Flag
portugal
Hi, Does anyone know if I swap a VM engine for a 3B , do I need to change the differential's ratio , transfer and or Transmission? Thanks.

Hi,
When I looked into this a few years ago for a friend it was a straight swop but check the gearbox according to the VIN number. The gearbox should mate up and the splines should be same for the 3B.

I will check my archive as |I think I have the info there.

Regards,
Rodger

I found a 1HZ engine with gearbox , Do you guys think it would fit ?

I have no idea if a 1HZ would fit. You would need to measure from the gearbox mount and the position and width of the engine mounts and I suspect that you would need to weld in new engine mounts. Will it clear the radiator? Can you get prop shafts modified? etc etc

The VM engine was fitted to circumnavigate EU quotas and was a straight replacement for the 3B so the swop is relatively straight forward as it mates to the gearbox, etc..

Regards,

Rodger

Hi all.

The gearbox (H55F) and transfer is the same. See image for input shafts. But the diffs are different. The VM model has a low range diff (4.56 ratio) and has noticeably "sportier" performance than the 3B model which could be described at best as agricultural. I have no idea what kind of performance you could expect from a 3B with low ratio K255 diffs. The diff code for my Japan built 3B BJ73 is K085.

IMG_5112.JPG

Left: F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft.
Middle: HZ type H55 input shaft
Right: B, 2B, 3B, 13BT type H55 input shaft

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have an H55F gearbox removed from a 1990 4 cylinder 2.5 TD VM on the bench in my workshop. Just went and checked it.

It has the F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft. I do not know if this will fit a 1HZ but it definitely won't fit a 3B.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi thanks for all the replies.
I just learnt that if I change the engine here on Portugal, in order to legalize it I will have to pay like 5k because of the increase in cubic capacity increase. :-( so I guess I'll keep the VM until it breaks and then I'll rebuild it

bad luck. VM not a bad engine if you look after it. pics here of new heads and head bolts with part numbers if you ever need them. the heads in the pics need screw in injectors not the clamped ones.

Here I installed back the original bumper , it had it had a off road bumper.

I cleaned the engine and it looks better now :) , I see some oil leaking from the head covers

Probaly I will need the heads , what other VM parts do you have ?

thanks
38181522-7E53-4DBB-AE8B-7A4CF29BE788.jpg
84F64A26-DF8A-4718-86ED-87F9F3B2E0B9.JPG

damn. if you werent so far away i'd ask to buy that off road bumper

i havent got any vm parts anymore, but the photos show part numbers which are otherwise difficult to find.

Back