Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

The uk has long needed a more balanced economy. Less reliant on housing, and services. We need a strong home grown manufacturing base again.

every other country but Britain seems to capitalise from capitalism...

Reactions: Pat
Agreed CG sod the marinas and fancy paving along the beachfront , rebuild the shipping industry and things like that . I bet the import export numbers between UK and EU would be turned on its head if we didn't distribute to the rest of the world via Europe .

Reactions: Pat
At the moment, could do with the Pound stabilising a bit. Folks are mentioning a dollar to pound parity is in the cards.

Thats going to really hurt.

£ will be OK in time I think, the big 5 US investment banks just backed London. Italy & Greece are on the edge, even Deutsche Bank is peering over the precipice, the fat lady ain't even clearing her throat yet!

But the brainwashing continues and if it serves self interest it is easily accepted . To the ones that voted out a pound still buys a pasty and they will still run out of money 2 days before pay day every week .

But who cares about the people that do things its the people that get paid to write down what the useful people do that matter . It will be 2 years before all the remainians claim they voted out because it was "obviously" the right thing to do .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But the brainwashing continues and if it serves self interest it is easily accepted . To the ones that voted out a pound still buys a pasty and they will still run out of money 2 days before pay day every week .

But who cares about the people that do things its the people that get paid to write down what the useful people do that matter . It will be 2 years before all the remainians claim they voted out because it was "obviously" the right thing to do .
The things you can't change forget about them and get on with everyday living.
We all seem to get in a down right tizz about those things but we just need to control the things we can do.

£ will be OK in time I think, the big 5 US investment banks just backed London. Italy & Greece are on the edge, even Deutsche Bank is peering over the precipice, the fat lady ain't even clearing her throat yet!

The 5 big US banks are probably on the verge of collapse anyway.
They went bankrupt during the Reagan years. Like us they're just quantatively easing" their way through it all. Well that and fixing the LIBOR rate, fixing the price of metals. The American banks sold the sub prime mortgages that led to the last collapse and 3 of the biggest US banks are described as "Too big to fail." ... But they will, Just watch.

Agreed CG sod the marinas and fancy paving along the beachfront , rebuild the shipping industry and things like that . I bet the import export numbers between UK and EU would be turned on its head if we didn't distribute to the rest of the world via Europe .

I mostly agree. The basics need to be in place, and them being in a bad shape are largely to blame for some of the present grief.

However, its also a case of what hit the economy takes, the people struggle, the crashingand exploitive politicians get away with in the interim, and through the rebuild. That too comes at a cost. And if the cycle is at 50 to 70yrs, is it still worthwhile? Given that in 50yrs much of the rest would.move along and some of the baeline fundamentals may not be relevant anymore.

Secondly, it looks like the leave front has entirely collapsed. They are working concessions on.literally every front with some of them being pitched as nonoptional. Eg right to travel. But what does nonoptional mean? If the EU says they wont do it, will the UK then call off brexit?

The thing I find amusing most at this point is that the two candidates for next PM are the two directly tesponsible, via local legislation, for the things the Leave campaign voted against.

So really. Is it already game over?

In 2 yrs time, if everyone is saying they did the obvious thing they would then be in the same boat as the folks who think they coted for electoral reform at the last election, and think they got it....

Totally agree. The pound will stabalise. Just a case of what damage is done in the process and what the economic impact is going to be. I dont want diesel at £2/ltr.

And barclays is currently advising folks on howto hedge their GBP investments against the EUR. So the local banks dont seem to share the confidence of the US. By and large the confidence is lacking on the US markets as well, the high freq guys are raking it in.

It was a foregone conclusion that we would end up with a Brussels monkey for PM but they won't last long because it has been shown for the first time in years that there is a point in voting .

A long term plan towards an industrial Britain is exactly what we need . My town here was the busiest exporter of coal in the world 100 years ago shifting 11 million tonnes a year . Ok the coal is gone but the port is still there and currently for sale so someone can build rabbit hutches on it and call them houses .

Much of everything nowadays exists only in cyberspace and that will progress on all fronts wherever you are in the world , but even Bill Gates needs a toilet and a plumber to fix it when it doesn't work , how fundamental is that .

Those who voted out are the foundations on which everything is built .

I wonder why both the PM Candidates from the BREXIT campaign have left the running? cold feet or the realisation of what they done?

The UK's future is not in heavy industry, we are too expensive and the worlds changed. The UK needs to move with the times.

Seems some are looking back on the past with rose tinted glasses, days of being an industrial heavy weight are over. Labour costs are simply too high, driven by multiple generations of benefits spongers and people expecting a minimum standard of living.

Rose tinted as in believing hard graft should bring just reward . Spongers and expecting a minimum standard of living - like a mate of mine who has worked 7 days a week for more years than i can remember on building sites who will never own his own home because when all the bills are paid he has enough for a few pints is all but rarely as he can't afford beer and a childminder . He doesn't drive .

His ex the child's mother became a drug addict after they split and so she qualifies for cheap/free housing and free money , she probably has a disposable income far greater than his .

A thoroughly decent bloke and its awful to hear him say "i would be better off if i got myself hooked on that shit"

I wonder why both the PM Candidates from the BREXIT campaign have left the running? cold feet or the realisation of what they done?

The UK's future is not in heavy industry, we are too expensive and the worlds changed. The UK needs to move with the times.

Seems some are looking back on the past with rose tinted glasses, days of being an industrial heavy weight are over. Labour costs are simply too high, driven by multiple generations of benefits spongers and people expecting a minimum standard of living.
the uks future is in a well balanced economy, and that includes heavy industry and manufacturing. ive said it before, Germanys labour costs are far from cheap, but they are efficient and produce a quality product.

nothing to do with rose tinted glasses, sometimes you need to look back to look forward..

Won’t you join our Common Market?’ said the spider to the fly,
‘It really is a winner and the cost is not too high’.
‘I know De Gaulle said ’’ Non’’, but he hadn't got a clue,
‘We want you in, my friends and I, as we have plans for you.
‘You’ll have to pay - a little more - than we do, just for now,
‘As Herr Kohl said, and I agree, we need a new milch cow,
‘It’s just a continental term, believe me , Mon ami,
‘Like ‘’Vive la France’’ or ‘’Mad Anglais’’ or even ‘’E.E.C.’’.
‘As to the rules, don’t worry friend, there’s really but a few,
‘You’ll find that we ignore them - but they all apply to you.
‘Give and share between us, that’s what it’s all about,
‘You do all the giving, and we all share it out.
‘It’s very British, is it not, to help a friend in need?
‘You've done it twice in two World Wars, a fact we must concede.
‘So climb aboard the Market Train, don’t sit there on the side,
‘Your continental cousins want to take you for a ride’

:laughing-rolling:

Last edited:
The original author of the poem above is some called Stav by the way , i just chanced upon it in the readers comments of a news article discussing the EU's plan to castrate Portugal and Spain for not bowing low enough .

This is my effort

Junkers in his bunker
a tyrants lair unmatched
he is counting up his plunder
before they batten down the hatch
the empire is in ruins and the hoards are fighting back
but his minions count their blessings as their bank accounts are fat
a failed project as some will say but they don’t know the fact
the third world war is fought and won
and there ain’t no going back .

isn't CERN in Switzerland, a country not in the EU?

Yeah, CERN as an international organisation is insulated to some degree from all of this (but obviously I've colleagues in many countries, and in particular from the UK since I'm British and was educated there).

Actually Switzerland has been through all of this before: as you may know, a couple of years ago the Swiss narrowly voted to limit immigration (though they've still not actually implemented the law as the government is desperate not to enact it, fearing the consequences). Within a week one of my friends working at Geneva uni was told his funding was cancelled, because it came from the EU and the EU was withdrawing science funding from switzerland as a result of the vote (free movement of people being a non-negotiable part of any treaty with the EU). I think everyone was very shocked at how fast this happened.

For him and his research it was a total disaster. More generally, long term projects (which in the type of physics I do are mostly international endeavours) that Swiss institutes had been leading suddenly needed to find new institutes or be cancelled. In many cases what happened was the scientists involved moved to French, or UK universities and the money went with them : in total Switzerland, a country that got disproportionately high funding from the EU due to the quality of its universities and research institutes, lost out on billions because of the vote. So, very similar to us. The big difference is that the EU can't do this to the UK whilst we're still a member, but I'm already hearing stories about funding committees starting to disfavour the UK.

Obviously I'm very biased, but I'm pretty worried for science in the UK. I suspect I lived through the golden years without realising it!

Back