Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Eu Vignettes

Seagull-russ

Country Flag
uk
hiya

can anyone just confirm what countries in eu need passes/vignettes?

this is the route currently planned. https://goo.gl/maps/64vutGSGzFv

I found one site called tolltickets.com, is this legit? friend we going with says just to buy at service stations but he got caught out couple times with police waiting just past stations and the some stations not having the length of ticket he needed and got done for not having one at all. so I'm trying save any potential hassle.

thanks
russell

In Austria, you can buy them at the service stations. I always buy a 10 day vignette for the skiing holiday at the first station after the border.

Switzerland as well. Last time I bought one was at the border outside Geneva. It was a while ago.

I think the only road tax we got on last years Romania trip was at a service station in Hungary and that was sort of spur of the moment and i'm not sure who found out or how that we were supposed to buy it ?

Possibly we bought it again at services in Romania shortly before we left for home (having driven around the country for the best part of a week with non) and again that was only by chance as Clive must have seen a sign behind the counter when we stopped for a cuppa ?

Might buy in advance myself for this years trip so please let us know if you find a reliable source .

I think the only road tax we got on last years Romania trip was at a service station in Hungary and that was sort of spur of the moment and i'm not sure who found out or how that we were supposed to buy it ?

Possibly we bought it again at services in Romania shortly before we left for home (having driven around the country for the best part of a week with non) and again that was only by chance as Clive must have seen a sign behind the counter when we stopped for a cuppa ?

Might buy in advance myself for this years trip so please let us know if you find a reliable source .
I think that might have been me Shayne on the way there, I remember paying for fuel when the cashier said have you got your vignette, until then I didn't know it was needed so I did as you and got one before I crossed the border on my return.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Austria and Hungary both require vignette, Austrian one is a decal to be placed on the left of the windscreen so that it can be read by camera, if the police are not too busy and the control room bods see you don't have one then you stand a very good chance of being intercepted and taken to pay for one along with being issued with a fine, this happened to someone I know very well.
Hungary you have to give your vehicle reg and that will go on a database but be sure to keep the receipt handy as it might take some time to be recognized and the police may stop you to check you have paid your vignette.
All vignettes can be paid for at service stations and it's best to pay for one as soon as possible after entering the respective countries.
Switzerland I don't know as I have never been there it is however one of the countries I want to visit.

Switzerland, Austria, Czech Rep, Slovak Rep, Hungary, Slovenia all have some kind of road tax of various lengths and prices.

Rule is buy as soon as you can, normally at stations before the border, at the border but certainly no later than after the first station after the border.

This week I drove through Switzerland, Austria, Slovak and Hungary, it is a real pain....

Oops we didn't get one when in Austria for ski trip in march, had no idea

Oops we didn't get one when in Austria for ski trip in march, had no idea
Looks like you struck lucky there Andy. I would have thought UK plates or hire cars would be easy pickings.

You need one in Romania, they should sell you one at the border as you enter, otherwise stop at the first Petrom fuel station (other stations don't sell them) and buy one month, it's not expensive, but the fine for not having one is.

Looks like you struck lucky there Andy. I would have thought UK plates or hire cars would be easy pickings.

Luckily it wasn't my car, but a friends, and the 4 of us shared the driving.

Back