Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Evolution 80...

Graham Stirling

Im not sure if this should be in the offroad or overland build section as i haven't quite decided what i want to get out of the build yet. I've posted this build of a couple of forums so i'm going to skip a large section and cut straight to where we are today. If anyone wants info or pics of specific bits then let me know and i'll post up.

Here's where it all started with my newly written off 80.
DPP_0010.jpg

Here's how she stands now.
IMG_0942.jpg

No, it's all there though. Since the photo I cleaned the chassis back to bare metal and primed it with zinc phosphate self etching paint so i need to put a top coat on before i put the axle back on.

Also, i found that the load proportioning valve was goosed so i'm waiting for a replacement along with replacement fuel tank straps.

Once everything is to hand and the chassis is blacked it should only take a couple of hours to get it back on it's wheels.

I started putting everything back together today but spent most of my time cleaning and painting owt that isn't getting binned or replaced, however, i'm a wee bit confused.

I have a full floater back axle but there doesn't seem to be an outer hub seal to stop the gear oil mixing with the bearing grease, is this right/normal?

Also, are the tapered washers which sit in the flange on the end of the half shaft reuseable? I tapped my out when i split the axle but some are a little damaged.

And finally...... is the diff from a pre 92 axle the same as that from a post 92 axle?

Cheers, G

There's a seal just inside the ends of the axle tubes to keep the oil in the axle. Other than the seal failing, if the wheel bearings get enough play in them there can be enough movement for oil to escape and then it does get into the bearings.

The tapered washers can be reused if you don't damage them getting them out. Any signs of damage and I would replace because they can be even harder to get out next time. Never strike the washers, only the hub or stud and then with a copper hammer or brass bar etc.

Diffs are the same :D

Cheers Jon,

I think i'll just get new seals as i cant even see any on mine. The bearings are fine, no play at all and they look in really good nick. I can see that the bearings have been replaced recently as they are well packed with grease but theres also loads of oil in there too, and the oil i drained from the axle has a fair amount of grease in it. It looks like the hubs were refitted without the outer seal when the bearings were replaced....maybe?

Good news about the diff. I'm going to refit the original diff but it has a bit of play in it. I have a spare pre 92 axle which i got the replacement diff lock actuator from so will rebuild the pre 92 diff and fit it later.

I'll replace the tapered washers as quite a few are damaged.

Thought of another question, assuming that my pre 92 axle is a full floater, which it should be as it has discs, are the half shafts the same as the post 92 parts?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just realised whats happened to the seals, i must have left them in when i sent the axle case for blasting.

Definately should be seals just inside the end of the axle tube but they're flimsy little things and I don't think they're very expensive. Blasting probably wouldn't be good for them :lol:

So long as both diffs are from an auto, or both from a manual depending on what you've got, they are the same and so are the shafts. AFAIK the thing that determines full floater or not is if it has a locker it is a full floater.

Pre vs post 92, there's an extra hole for the ABS sensor and the backing plate puts the caliper a bit further out for the bigger discs but otherwise the same.

Jon Wildsmith said:
So long as both diffs are from an auto, or both from a manual depending on what you've got, they are the same and so are the shafts. AFAIK the thing that determines full floater or not is if it has a locker it is a full floater.

Pre vs post 92, there's an extra hole for the ABS sensor and the backing plate puts the caliper a bit further out for the bigger discs but otherwise the same.

Mm, thats a bugger, i'm not sure what the spare axle was off so i'm not sure if it was manual or auto. I assume you mean that the ratios are different?

I noticed the abs/backing plate etc but only when i went to fit the pre 92 axle. I bought thinking it was a straight swap as i needed a new difflock actuator and thought an axle swap wold be the cheepest option but hadn't realised that the discs got bigger and abs was added after 92! Nevermind though, still cheeper than an actuator and i have a load of spares.

Yes it's just the ratios that are different, I have a few manual and auto rear gear sets, some front manual gear sets but strangely enough no front auto gears except for broken ones!

This build has changed direction a wee bit over the last few days, having been neglected for a few months. I had considered scrapping the lot but i've got quite attached to it even though it's in bits and is taking up a handy spot on the drive.

The cab is coming off and the plan is to graft on a Land Rover body. I've started collecting parts and hope to make a start on it before christmas.

Here's the donor Land Rover. I had been looking for something a bit newer, TD5 Defender or later, but this came up for £100. I've gathered most of what i need to make a start so hope to get going over the next few weeks.

109mil1.jpg

Ooof, so wrong... ;)

Do you still have the cab for nicks Gray?

And are congratulations in order too yah sly old dog?

very tempted myself mate. You could always bring it back for me on my trailer :thumbup: Pm or ring if you ever need trailer ;) You could always take veggie mux and sit the cab on roof.
karl

Gav Peter said:
Ooof, so wrong... ;)

Do you still have the cab for nicks Gray?

Aye, it's wrong alright but i can't find any info on it being done before so i lke the idea of giving it a go. Every bugger is running a trayback now!

The cab is still up for grabs but Karl has first dibs followed by pugwash. But, since i spoke to both i've looked more closely at it and i might have to cut the front bulkhead out to weld into the landrover bulkhead, not sure yet though. I could always cut the bulkhead out of a scrapper.

Gav Peter said:
And are congratulations in order too yah sly old dog?

Yes, wee Lily was born at 01.18 on the 11th, about 5 mins before i told Kay i'd bought the Land Rover. She was still on gas so it went down a treat in the labour suite. So... i'm now well and truely outnumbered, that's girl number 3. The other 2 are too far gone but we might have a chance of getting this one right!

Back