Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Excessive condensation

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
For the last few weeks I've noticed what I would describe as excessive condensation on the windscreen, which this am was frozen.

Carpets are dry
Windscreen has recently (last 18m) been removed and rust cut out and repaired.
Drains for sunroof clear
Don't notice it on anyother windows or surfaces
I do have a water tank internal to the vehicle
I have replaced the rear windows with gullwings, could a seal leak be a cause?

I know condensation is warm moist air meeting a cold surface. The car doesn't appear damp, the emergency loo roll kept easily accessible, is as fresh as if it came out of the packet.
Ive run the car on a reasonable trip with the heat up, but I still get it.

What other things can I check? I had a vw polo as a child and that did it when the heater inlet was covered with damp leaves, but my heater clears the screen (with some help from a couple of chamois).

This one will be interesting, I have exactly the same thing on my 120.
Using cloths/chamois, just causes it to drip all over the dash, and copious amounts of kitchen roll are swamped in minutes.
We have one if those Karcher window sucker up tools, that clears it easily with no mess, but awkward due to size. Heater then clears the odd bit.
The windscreen is the only glass affected.

Funny enough, I've been looking at those on eBay, made for the dash, and with a 'magic eye' that changes colour to tell you when they are full, and ready to dry out in microwave to use again.
Under £20 for 2. Some look like the crystals are in a plastic type pouch, a lot of f.....g good !

Weather is all , mrs complained about the same thing the other day because she always has heating on full but never opens a window .

I bet the carpet and seats could hold well over a gallon of water without even feeling wet .

Maybe try an ultrasonic leak detector to check the seal around the windscreen

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Water is infinite , when stuff dries the water doesn't vanish it just moves so it needs somewhere to go .

I'm definitely not sitting on a gallon of water, it would soak my arse and drip all over the floor.
If I suck it up with the karcher it definately vanishes - until next time !

I wish I could afford to have the heating on full, there's money in fishing after all, lol.

I keep a couple of these small rechargable units Dehumidifierbehind the rear seats to protect radio gear from excess damp and they seem to do a good job. I also run the AC for a few minutes now every time I go out in the truck which helps dry the air. You can still get internal condensation in certain weather conditions even if you have no leaks.

In my case, it's definitely condensation, as it doesn't run down the screen, and once shifted in the mornings it doesn't occur again during the day no matter how hard it rains.
Moisture from somewhere causing it, maybe porous windscreen rubber/crap sealant.

I often run a/c, mainly to keep it in working order.

If the air wasn't so damp the outside of your car wouldn't be frozen in the morning .

Drop a window a quarter inch when your blowers hot and the humidity can escape instead of recirculate .

Recirculating the air in the car can help warm the inside but, in the absence of AC, you need fresh air in to dissipate water vapour, especially with a few people in the car.

As the condensation is excessive in the mornings, no amount of heat, blower, a/c, or dropping windows is going to clear it. It needs to be physically removed first.
I don't care if it's damp outside, I don't want it inside, more investigation needed, especially as there is no trace of condensation on any other windows.
This morning typically, every window was heavily frosted/iced outside, caused by damp outside and plummeting temperatures, (no rain, obviously) but when de iced/de frosted, condensation only inside screen.
Some of those dashboard crystal sacks that HMG was on about will be ordered for a temporary result now.

The cold, damp weather does cause excess condensation but in your case, it does seem genuinely excessive.

I'd check the seals around the windscreen - have heard quite a few situations where a windscreen was replaced and subsequently started "leaking" with nothing obvious, other than symptoms similar to what you describe. Can you check from the inside, while another sprays/hoses water from the outside. Also might be worth checking the sunroof drain holes too.

It might be a bit too cold for the AC to activate but worth taking it for a drive with the heating and AC on, to try and dry out any excess moisture in the car - though this will be temporary if you have water coming in via a defective seal.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

If she complains again i will drop the window just enough to run a hairdryer on an extension lead in her truck for an hour .

Back