Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fabricators for a bespoke Rear Swing-away...?

I only skimmed through the thread to get an idea of your wants but i think i'd stick a suitably sized lump of this https://www.discountsteel.com/items/A36_Hot_Rolled_Steel_Bar_Channel.cfm in the chassis rails to come out through your factory bumper which allows the pin to be secured top and bottom . One each side , i guess it would have to latch to your tow bar ?

The roof tent i keep looking at might work for you too , hard shell and bikes weigh nothing so sling em on top of it . https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.65.455c7f2eqyUR7b

So in the spirit of all ideas are worth throwing out there so feel free to dismiss.
I was thinking bonnet mounted too but Maybe only works with smaller tyres? Are such massive tyres really really needed?
I have two spares - one on the roof in front of the tent and one on the back OEM swing out. I use Bfg ATs and never had any puncturing issues including all over sharp Icelandic lava. But they are smaller at LT 285/75R16. I think this size would work on the bonnet too

Having had a defender that had 235 85 16 tyres on the bonnet I can confirm the front visibility is reduced some what.

With a 285 it would be terrible.

Not sure if the bonnet has the strength is in the bonnet either. Plus very heavy to open.

54A8DCD8-17D2-4E2B-B4F4-BFD3AC37D8D3.png

Seems to be about 2 inches higher on bonnet than a 235 tyre

I guess any tyre on bonnet will restrict the view but certainly frees up a lot of space. I have never had it like that but I guess it can work - given all those Defenders with that set up. But certainly agree that it would be heavy to lift bonnet and that it would probably need strengthening.

Be under no illusion, to have somebody make up a design from start to painted finish mounted on your truck will cost the best part of, if not more than those inserts at £1704.00, especially if you add your time into the mix.

If it’s a way you could be happy with, no additional weight, no bulk, no ironing out wrinkles, You won’t even think about the cost, just how very glad you are that you went that route.

Think about it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Be under no illusion, to have somebody make up a design from start to painted finish mounted on your truck will cost the best part of, if not more than those inserts at £1704.00, especially if you add your time into the mix.

If it’s a way you could be happy with, no additional weight, no bulk, no ironing out wrinkles, You won’t even think about the cost, just how very glad you are that you went that route.

Think about it.

If it were just that I agree it may be worth it. Unfortunately the inserts only solve the issue of carrying a spare. A swing-away is still needed for the bikes and the gas bottle.

At the minute I am leaning toward not carrying a spare, running beadlock wheels (outer only) and having a custom swing-away built to use with an ISI bike carrier. I am going to talk to the fabricators next week and start to get an idea on cost.

If you have or can fit a receiver hitch then a simple swing away can be made to attach to that and a bike carrier and not touch the rear bumper at all except for the receiver hitch which of course has many other uses and allows the bike rack to be removed when back home and not in use.

You could look at using other bike racks and unbolting the bike mounts to then attach to a fabricated diagonal as part of your bike rack.

Back