Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fancy a PSA test?

How longs a piece of string question but at what age does one need to start thinking of having this?

When I was having my treatment for PC, the youngest patient I met having the same treatment was 38 yrs.

Both my sons (36 and 45) have been tested.

I'm recovering from PC, and whilst the psa test isn't lauded as the complete answer, regular tests can reveal a trend. I understand that some doctors suggest that starting tests at age 50 is a good idea and for afro-caribbean men this should be age 45.

Whilst I don't contribute much on here, I'm happy to answer any questions I can with the benefit of my experience/treatment/side effects.

Starting in November 2015; PSA => Digital Exam => MRI => biopsy (and subsequent confirmation of aggresive tumour with Gleason score of 9) => 3 monthly hormone implant to reduce testosterone (had my final one in Feb 2018) => brachytherapy => short course of radiotherapy.

All seems good at the moment, looking forward to the side effects of the implant reducing and seeing if I get some 'get up and go' back.

The type of treatment varies according to which hospital you go to and also the exact stage your PC was discovered at. The patient can choose which hospital he goes to so one can do some research or ask around. I went to Wolverhampton and then my local Dudley who said I was incurable after failed radiation. I talked to some friends and referred myself to UCLH London who tried a new treatment which also failed so I referred myself to QE Birmingham rather than Dudley who only have locum urologists.

Saw my gp this morning for my results, she originally sent me off for blood tests for lots of various tests but failed to include PSA
So had the finger test which she said felt fine, i didn't, but i am going to have the PSA test but apparently i have to wait two weeks after the finger test.
The other blood results have disclosed i am right on the edge of being diabetic & my platelets are high.

Saw my gp this morning for my results, she originally sent me off for blood tests for lots of various tests but failed to include PSA
So had the finger test which she said felt fine, i didn't, but i am going to have the PSA test but apparently i have to wait two weeks after the finger test.
The other blood results have disclosed i am right on the edge of being diabetic & my platelets are high.
the diabetes can be sorted by changing a few lifestyle factors, as she should have advised you. Was the blood test a fasting one? The psa test can’t be done after the physical exam as that can cause it to be artificially high, she should have done the blood test first. Frankly I don’t think much of your gp!

She's new to the practice, not a fasting one & she has advised me on diet changes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
She's new to the practice, not a fasting one & she has advised me on diet changes.
You can only diagnose diabetes from a fasting glucose. a random test means nothing. 'edge of being diagnosed diabetic' is meaningless. If your sugars are in the normal range, your not, if they aren't you are. Frankly, I'd get a new GP!!

Fasting needs clarity. I think they might have done away with that recently. Finger test is bugger all IMO. Mine was clear.

Back