Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire in the Engine Bay

Is turbo runaway where the engine runs on its own oil and you have to block the air intake?

That's it. I saw this happen on a Shogun a couple of years ago and the owner managed to slow it right down to something like a fast idle by stuffing his jumper in the air intake, and letting the clutch out with the brakes applied.
Like this one..

That's my plan. Off with clothing and get the cover off the air cleaner as quick as possible before stuffing clothing up the air inlet going to the turbo. Then whipping off the breather and stuffing that up with something to hopefully bring it to a halt.

Edit
Thinking about the breather, it would be better to leave it connected and produce vacuum on the crankcase which should help decrease oil flow from the turbo. Without the breather connected, vacuum would be placed on the turbo where the oil is entering the intake, potentially causing more oil to be sucked in, possibly causing hydraulic lock in the absence of combustion. And we don't want that now do we!! :)

Last edited:
What's wrong with stalling it in gear then, assuming it's a manual?

That's doable in the right gear if it's a manual. That's the problem really, it's an auto!

What's wrong with stalling it in gear then, assuming it's a manual?

It would probably work for your old bus mate but i would likely end up doing a wheelie if my clutch caught before it shredded itself :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When my KZ ran away and was over 4000RPM, I just used a thick jacket that was nearby and stuffed the intake. It worked well and the engine stopped within a few seconds. Just make sure you don't use something too loose that can possibly get sucked in. Those turbo's sure to pull

Many, many years ago my wife and I were driving South to my parents in Somerset. We stopped at a Motorway Services for petrol.

I had just filled up when an Austin Maxi, with two women on board, pulled in behind me - with flames visible behind the radiator grill.

I shouted at them that they were on fire and they jumped out and ran away (a long way!), leaving the doors open.

I told my wife to get into the driver's seat of our car and be prepared to get away quickly and grabbed a fire extinguisher. The guy filling up on the other side of the pump scarpered.

I popped the Maxi's bonnet and fired the extinguisher into the engine bay, then opened the bonnet fully. The coil and associated wiring on the side of the block were burning, but were soon put out. Damage was minimal and the filling station survived!

Next, the girl from the pay kiosk was at my side with a claim form, wanting me to pay for using the extinguisher!

I declined and pointed to the two dots in the far distance - "get them to pay" I said.

I paid for my fuel and left.

Its true what people say about "not getting involved" you can just land yourself in a load of trouble :doh:.

I still do it though :lol:.

Bob.

It would probably work for your old bus mate but i would likely end up doing a wheelie if my clutch caught before it shredded itself :D

I could imagine that Shayne, she's a live one that's for sure :lol:

The day my truck does a wheelie, will be the same day that I eat it, piece by piece, that's how confident I am that those front wheels would stay planted, irrespective of what the engine and clutch are doing, between them. :lol:

That's doable in the right gear if it's a manual. That's the problem really, it's an auto!

I thought as much Rich, but wasn't sure (your signature appears a little deficient in this respect [cough] :icon-biggrin:).

I wonder what would happen, if you selected drive at 5k revs... :wtf: :think:

Ah that's another mod' for worried owners. A butterfly valve in the inlet.

I'm not very familiar with turbo diesels, so forgive my ignorance, but don't they normally have a butterfly, and a usual mod is to remove it?

Are you getting confused with the EGR valves Clive which are there purely for emissions and to clog up your inlet pipe? The air supply on a diesel isn't throttled in any way, at least not on the older ones, and is effectively a fully open, unrestricted tract into the cylinder head and the 'throttle' is controlled by the IP metering the fuel, hence the engine running away when the turbo seals go giving the engine as much (engine) oil as it can physically draw in and burn until the engine oil either runs out or more likely the engine s***s itself.

Are you getting confused with the EGR valves Clive which are there purely for emissions and to clog up your inlet pipe? The air supply on a diesel isn't throttled in any way, at least not on the older ones, and is effectively a fully open, unrestricted tract into the cylinder head and the 'throttle' is controlled by the IP metering the fuel, hence the engine running away when the turbo seals go giving the engine as much (engine) oil as it can physically draw in and burn until the engine oil either runs out or more likely the engine s***s itself.

There you go, every day a school day, thanks TP.

I said this because in a distant memory, I thought I remembered a mod on here or on MuD removing a butterfly... mistaken, obviously.

I did know that the throttle operates via the IP, it's the same as on my non-turbo diesel.

Cheers

So while loads of fires are electrical - and the more we customise and fiddle the greater the risk - bear in mind that nature is a cause. Loads of vehicles burn out in southern Africa due to getting dry grass caught up under the chassis where it eventually gets so hot from the exhaust that it spontaneously combusts. I've driven past at least 5 of these sad skeletons in my travels, and every year I read of more. Secret is to keep checking for combustible material trapped under the vehicle. Guys carry long metal hooks to scrape it all out regularly - tent pole or similar with a hook on the end works well... And I'd imagine parts of Europe could be as risky.

I like the look and performance of those Fire Strykers But I'm guessing they're not available in the UK? They're for sale on Ebay but from France.

Stopping the engine lying on your back and forcing the sole of your shoe on the exhaust might slow it down enough so someone else could calmly think what to do. Reverse gear stall not an option lol.

You could also just drive off in it until 3rd gear then use brakes to stall it.

Back