Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting a higher capacity battery - questions

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
I thought that I would post this here, rather than in the tech section as it non-LC related, though still Toyota related!! :thumbup:

Our Yaris (2001 mk1 1.3 petrol) spends its life doing short journeys and runs its battery down every now and again. We have had the car for over 12 years and I have replaced the battery 3-4 times. The current one seems to be on the way out now too - failed to start yesterday and had to use my "power-pack" to start it. I've already recharged it several times over the past couple of years using a charger.

I'm thinking about replacing the battery this time with higher capacity one and was after some advice. I appreciate that the size (to fit in the smallish battery tray) will be a limiting factor and the terminal position will be another.

Other than those 2 factors, is there anything else I need to take into consideration for the usage profile?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have thought about a solar trickle charger, however the faff of disconnecting and connecting it up every time you use the car makes it impractical. I like the ones that plug into the cigar lighter but the Yaris one only works on the ignition. Is there a way that you can wire one in (relatively easily)? I suppose you would still need to disconnect when you start the engine/alternator starts?

Last edited:
Hi Chadr
Putting a higher capability battery on will not do any harm but won't help
you situation as the problem is you are not doing enough running about to charge the battery, so putting a bigger one on won't help.
The only thing I would suggest if you are not using the motor very much is get one of the smart chargers (the Aldi ones are cheap) and leave on all the time till you need to use the car ( this only will work if you can plug it in to the mains) You could wire a plug/socket arrangement directly to the battery and then just unplug it when you need to use the car.
The easiest way is just to use the car more to charge the battery up

Buy a solar charger that plugs into the OBD socket, dead simple and no faffing about under the bonnet.

Thanks for the response Steve - appreciated.

The easiest way is just to use the car more to charge the battery up

This is the crux of the issue - the car is used almost daily and quite often, several times a day. However these journeys are very short - probably around 1.5 miles on average. I suppose we must be depleting the battery through the frequent starts etc. than we are charging via the short trips.

Buy a solar charger that plugs into the OBD socket, dead simple and no faffing about under the bonnet.

Thanks white90 - I have not seen these ones - can you leave these permanently connected? Or do you need to disconnect before starting the engine?

ADD : Just found a OBD one on Amazon - need to disconnect before you start but that is better than having to faff under the bonnet (especially as it is my wife who will be doing it!!).

Last edited:
I would personally go with a smart charger. Specifically the C Tek as they come with a wire on connector and really look after the battery. It may even bring this one back to a usable condition. They also do extension leads to fitvtheir connectors. Not the cheapest but they are just good. Yes you would need to disconnect.

The other thing that strikes me is that you may be better off with an electric car. Aidan do one with replaceable batteries that charge from a standard 13A socket. Just a thought.

Hi would splash out on a AGM type battery, I am sure that you could get a direct replacement to fit your car so no worries about compatibility.
These batteries should start a car even if significantly discharged unlike lead acid batteries.
At least it should be a fit and forget option the hassle of battery conditioners on a daily driver sounds a real faff.
Additionally I would check if you have don't have a parasitic drain that adds to the problem and that all battery connections and earthing points are in good order as these can loose volts if in poor order.
Lastly a new battery every 3 years or so is not totally unrealistic especially if it is getting a hard life.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Absolutely get an automatic charger. A waterproof one that can be strapped/fixed/mounted under the bonnet, connected permanently to the battery. Then get as an extra, a small mains plug mounted in the bumper. That way it's easy to plug in and out. No faffing about. (learnt a new word there, tnx). The cTek is the best. Comes with two cables for the battery end, one with eylets for permanent connection an one with clamps.
Look here: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/12v

Last edited:
The thing with the Ctek is that they do the plug in the kit so you can just hang that out the front and use one of their longer leads to connect the charger so the charger can live inside. Depends on how close you can get the car to a building of course.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll look into a CTEK or similar for the long term.

Hi would splash out on a AGM type battery, I am sure that you could get a direct replacement to fit your car so no worries about compatibility.
These batteries should start a car even if significantly discharged unlike lead acid batteries.
At least it should be a fit and forget option the hassle of battery conditioners on a daily driver sounds a real faff.
Additionally I would check if you have don't have a parasitic drain that adds to the problem and that all battery connections and earthing points are in good order as these can loose volts if in poor order.
Lastly a new battery every 3 years or so is not totally unrealistic especially if it is getting a hard life.

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll take a look at AGM batteries and check my earth points too.

Finally, I'm not that bothered about changing the battery every 3 years - if it was simply as that. My concern is that the car won't start when away from home, stranding my wife/kids and the hassle that goes with it. We've been lucky so far that every time the battery has failed, it has been while the car's on our drive - every cloud, silver lining and all that! :icon-wink:

Thanks - I've got a power/starter pack* already and it has come in very useful - must have used it on the Yaris a dozen times or so over the past few years. Never had to use it on the 90 and I'm not sure it would be up to the challenge. (Even though in theory it should be easier to crank a 3.4 petrol than a 3.0 diesel ?).

*....now don't get mrdelmonti (Ed) started on these things !!!! :eusa-whistle:

Putting on a battery with a higher capacity will only delay the time before it runs flat, and over time the bigger battery will have a shorter life.

This is because you are better off having a well charged small (but sufficient power) battery, than a large battery that never reaches a fully charged state.

I would look at the alternator and do a little research to see if you can swap in with minimal fuss one with a larger output. If it has not been replaced in the last few years then you are doing some preventative maintenance as well, put one in with your new battery and call it done.

Note you may have to run a heavier cable from the alternator output terminal to the battery or starter, depends how your Yaris is wired.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back