Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting snorkel question

fridayman

Garage
Are there any drain holes in the airbox / intake tube that need to be sealed off when fitting a snorkel to a Colorado?

Yes there is - or at least there was on mine. I think there should have been some kind of a valve in the hole but I just siliconed it up. Not sure what the hole was there for - to drain any water that gets in maybe? I found out about the hole when I found a little water in the box after a water crossing - and I think it was water that was splashed up rather then water flooding in because of depth. Anyway, the hole has been sealed up for years now with no problem. Just the same, I would avoid water that is deeper than the height of the tyres.

Thanks. I'll take a look this evening and seal it up if I have a hole too.

What's the point of fitting a snorkel if you won't go in deeper than your tyres? (except for cleaner air in dusty conditions ofcoarse)... We've done water crossings which is at the top of the wheels (bow wave over the bonnet...) in standard 3L TD and a 3L D4D with no hassles...

Just a curious question as I'm considering fitting a Safari snorkel too, just incase I get bogged-down durning a water-crossing one day... as currently the movement of the car creates a vacume of some sorts in the enginebay/fender and no water can get in - but you have to keep moving!!!

Ducktape,

I meant top of wheel not tyre. The bow wave has in fact washed over the top of the bonnet and up to the windscreen a number of times. But personally would not do anything more extreme than that.

As you say, the bow wave should keep water out of the engine bay but I would not be happy drving through water that created a wave higher than headlight level in a standard vehicle as the air intake is just behind the headlights and it is possible for water to wash into the intake - eg in the event of a sudden acceleration/deceleration caused by a jolt on hitting a hidden obstacle or hole or in the event of a bogging.

Of course you need a snorkel, they look cool :cool: :D ;)

And you never know when this may happen :)

[youtube:3cy3szwr]CBODxhsPgPg[/youtube:3cy3szwr]

Bet he's pleased he spent the £300 & invested 6hrs of his life fitting it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Go alien. having now seen a safari on I would say the quality is easily as good and half the price. The 1 and only dissapointment I had was that it says PRADO on it and mine is a COLORADO Damn it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back