Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ 40 Wanted

Jase

The usual question! Does anyone know of a decent late FJ40 for sale. May be interested in one that needs restoration or rebuild.

Also not had one before (drove a Troopy in Oz a few years back) so would appreciate any recommendations on engines for rebuild.

Cheers :roll:

Aah, the never ending dream....

Took over a year to find mine and I did hundreds of miles during the search. Just keep your eye on forums , ebay and the more obscure market sites, particularly 4x4 sites.

Why do you want a petrol one? Bjs are more common (if that's the right word to use when talking about 40s) and the 3B diesel engine is pretty indestructable. Also if you wanted to go for a bigger engine the diesel options are greater - 60, 70, & 80 series engines can all be made to fit.

Worth looking on French ebay, or Holland, or Germany or , of course, Oz and import it. People on this forum have experience of importing. Your best chance of finding a rot-free one is Oz. Mechanically they are very robust but if you're not into bodywork be very careful.

Occasionally I get to hear of 40s for sale, what's your budget?

Happy hunting
Regards,

Good find - now lets play spot the 'straight' panel :lol:

Like I said, if you're into bodywork then it's doable - long job though!

Seriously though, the rot is in all the standard places so, if nothing more, it indicates the places you need to look - particularly from underneath.

I've seen worse and for more money

Cheers

Cheers Rodger et al,

See, that's how much I know - I do want the diesel so yes it is the BJ and I'd like to put in the 3B engine as you have indicated.

I can go up to 8-10k for a decent one - the ones for sale in Ireland are way over-priced based on the photos I've seen (apart from the one shown in Autotrader which looks about the right price to me).

If anything comes along then I'd appreciate a heads-up
Jase

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For your budget you could probably find a nice one in France and get it registered with change.
The 3B was the standard diesel in them although there are different model designations that have different engines - but BJ40 = 3B engine.
Try searching BJ40 France - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
Rodger

I called the guy from the autotrader ad in Ireland.

He says it runs but when they were cleaning it they broke the drivers window as all the rubbers are gone on the glass, also its registered in Southern Ireland and is in a dealers in the North.
There are no keys with it and you have to use a screwdriver on the starter.

Paul said:
its registered in Southern Ireland and is in a dealers in the North.
There are no keys with it and you have to use a screwdriver on the starter.
Stolen?

Sounds a bit iffy to me. Its defo the right money in my opinion. Surely a hpi could be done. Receipt from the seller should cover everything. New ignition shouldnt be to hard to find
karl

If there in his name its got to be right then.If it was uk id be tempted in it.
karl

Now that is rough jonnie, compare that to the yellow one and the yellow seems good value for money. karl

yep, that is one screwed truck, somehow I don't think its going to sell. Apparently it runs though. great!

That one is well beyond my bodywork skills as there appears to be more hole than body!

I would suggest that it is a "breaking for spares"!

Jase

Howdy I have an FJ 40 for sale... i got it from Germany a few years ago-imported it myself
Its a 4.2 straight six petrol- reconditioned, 4" exhaust, new OME suspension, big wheels, hard top, soft top and bikini top, loads of spares- doors, bulbar, brake bits. Its got golf seats in the front and sidefacing seats in the back.
Its been stored for 12 months as i have been away, i was going to get her on the road again, but time is against me..
Its on a sorn and no mot, but wont need much to pass..

Not sure how to get photos up so heres a link to a photo, more can be sent on request, but i dont have internet where i live so may take a day or 2..

http://www.theoverlander.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=135&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=11&t=54

its a great bus, and a reluctant sale, i had great plans !

Offers around £6k

Cheers Stan

There's a yellow swb on Autotrader, in NI near Belfast, for not a lot! If your interested in it let me know as my mate can go & have a look & maybe even arrange to bring it to the mainland too for some diesel monies.

Hi

I've got a short wheel base 79 fj40 that I may be persuaded to sell. I bought it a year ago from a collector in Surrey and it is in pretty good condition, other than the fact that the hydraulics on the clutch have just packed in. I am waiting for parts from Cool Cruisers in Texas to fix. Chassis is good, body work is pretty good apart from the bottom of the passenger door which needs some attention but not a massive job. It was resprayed some time ago by previous owner but don't have the details, fair job done at the time. Current colour is navy metallic with a white roof . Engine starts on the button and is in good original condition. Wiring is in good order except the speedo is not working/. It is a Malaysian right hand drive and has air con and power and is on a british V% since 1985 (I think) . The engine is a 4.2 litre petrol and it has the original 3 speed transmission. 5 brand new tyres

I am not an expert on the mechanics but the guy who looks after it for me says it is pretty straight. I had been looking for about 3 years before this one came along and it was much better than anything else I had seen so I snapped it up.

I am now torn between getting it fully restored, parting with it now or just storing it .... as ever priorities have changed and job is not giving me the time to use it. Not desperate to sell but could be persuaded.

Looking for £6500 as is or £7200 with the clutch replaced

Have pictures if you want to see it

Reply initially through the forum

Cheers

Big Rich

Mot'd and has s has an MOT and is taxed

Thanks for all the responses, I've picked up a very tidy BJ40 now so I won't be looking for another one just yet as my missus will leave me...

On second thoughts...no :twisted:

Back