Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flasher relay problems

79cruiserr

Country Flag
australia
First time poster here!
so my indicators decided to play up a few weeks ago.. I bought a new flasher relay thinking that was the problem still having the same issue!
sometimes it will work and blink like normal then it will just stop. It does it with both new and old relay, Hazards still work as normal. I’m starting to think it’s where the relay plugs in with a bad connection maybe ? Any advice work be awesome, cheers

Wires/connection to a bulb broken, or bulb earthing? The old-school flasher relays use a heated bi-metallic strip to turn on/off, the heater supplied via the bulbs. Less bulbs means the heater won't get hot fast enough (or might not get hot enough at all). If it's intermittent though, and during the time it's working it's fine, then I'd say a connection issue with the relay would be most likely - dirty socket or something.

Hazards are usually a separate flasher unit so not a surprise they are unaffected.

Wires/connection to a bulb broken, or bulb earthing? The old-school flasher relays use a heated bi-metallic strip to turn on/off, the heater supplied via the bulbs. Less bulbs means the heater won't get hot fast enough (or might not get hot enough at all). If it's intermittent though, and during the time it's working it's fine, then I'd say a connection issue with the relay would be most likely - dirty socket or something.

Hazards are usually a separate flasher unit so not a surprise they are unaffected.

it also buzzes sometimes when they stop then the buzzing sound will go away. When I put my hand on it you can feel something going on same with the hazards it’s threw the same relay you can feel it clicking when you touch it. I pulled it apart and bent the two contacts closer together that worked for a while! All bulbs work fine so I’m a bit lost seeming it does it with the new relay as well. I’m guessing it’s a connection issue maybe a bit of corrosion or dirt like you said!

Buzzing sounds like a relay voltage is too low, so I think definately check the socket and supply and earth to relay.

Y
Buzzing sounds like a relay voltage is too low, so I think definately check the socket and supply and earth to relay.

yeah it’s strange I can try wiggle it a bit and it starts working again but will eventually start to play up.. May take 5 minutes or 5days so I say it’s a connection issue. I’ll have a play around with it tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks for the advice mate appreciate it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back