Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flat Dual Batteries

Tiddles2

Country Flag
australia
I am new to the site and was wondering if any other LC 200 deseil owner has had a similar problem? Both batteries were found to be flat early one afternoon. Checked both batteries and found they each had 3 volts. The only thing that I did was to leave the "key" in the car overnight with nothing activated in the car.

I have been told this could do it but not that quickly (took about 12 hours)!!

Would appreciate any comments.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

This has happened to me twice. The batteries are not forgiving as they can go without notice, even with two units on board. The factory built LC200 is not equipped with an isolation switch, which means your main battery could be dead and therefore power is coming from your secondary. When that dies, it dies without notice.
Few things can be done, one is to install an isolator switch that has the intelligent to inform you. The other is to keep track on the battery life, normally this depends on the environment and the load. Batteries were I am normally lasts 18 months.
I also keep jump starter power source which has got me out trouble. This is a handy kit as it is highly portable and it can be use to charge other devices. You can find it in Amazon or eBay with keywords "jump start portable."
Hope this helps.
Oh!, one last good thing, the LC200 has an auto shut off if the lights on or car doors are accidentally left open. I think it happens after 20 minutes.
Cheers
Kamal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Kamal. I suspect that it could be the batteries given how quickly it happened.

What type of jump start power source have you used? Am looking at them in Oz and they don't tell you much except about 'Ampere output' and qualifying comments such as "for use in desiels less than 4 litres". It is very hard to get any guidance on what will work in these vehicles.

Cheers
and thanks Steve

Hi Steve,
The unit I bought from Amazon is named Tiger King and costs 80USD. It got 5 star ratings. Use these keywords
jump starter tiger king

It started my 4.5 diesel without any trouble and helped other cars. The charge in the unit is meant to have a life cycle of 6 month+ before a recharge. Have not got there, but have used it also to charge my camera and cell phone. I tend to stay safe and recharge it every 3 months to ensure the charge it healthy.
Cheers
K

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve,

I'd consider putting in a duel battery setup with a deep cycle cranking battery as a secondary; you can replace the two cranking batteries with a single high amp cranking battery for starting and then install an isolation switch between the cranking battery and the duel battery. I just removed and sold my oem batteries a few weeks ago, I have a high amp cranking battery to replace the two and use the second battery tray for my deep cycle battery, I have a dc charger activated by the ignition between the alternator and the secondary battery.

Doing this you can easily jump yourself from the duel battery when needed, and you also keep the deep cycle unlinked from the main for most of the time, so if you do flatten the main you can get yourself out of trouble.

Last new years I got a flat battery at Fraser camping in the dunes and jumped my self using my deep cycle charging the main. If you get a marine battery they are deep cycle and high cranking, so link and turn her and turn over, if you just get a deep cycle you'll have to wait for the deep cycle to charge up the main battery, or essentially equalise the volts across the two then turn it over.

I got my duel battery setup done at the local ARB, but they all do it; look up dc chargers, and isolation switches, it might cost a little bit more but it all fits under the hood so nothing extra to carry.

Matt

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back