Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Found another use for the 80 today!

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Rescue vehicle last week (http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/54716-Landcruiser-to-the-rescue!), this weekend it turned its hand to being a mobile work bench! :)

IMG_1641.JPG

I am a joiner by trade. My 80 is my only car, its my van, its my motor home for holidays, it tows a 14 foot trailer for my log deliverys. It does everything really.

I am a joiner by trade. My 80 is my only car, its my van, its my motor home for holidays, it tows a 14 foot trailer for my log deliverys. It does everything really.

It is a very versatile vehicle! :)

So I assume that your 80 is growing on you now and you are starting to enjoy it a bit more Mike?

Slowly but surely! I think once the EFS kit is installed that will be a real transformation in terms of drive. There's still some things I'd like to improve but not sure how - more driver legroom would be nice for starters! Also the legroom in the middle row of seats is tiny given the size of vehicle (much less than in my 3-Series BMW, for instance)! I guess that shows how far modern interior ergonomics have come along.

But overall it definitely goes better now, and will handle and ride much better soon too. The brakes are still lacking, so would like to improve those somehow too, actually!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The brakes are still lacking, so would like to improve those somehow too, actually!

I fitted DBA discs to the front of mine and I use Mintex MDB1695 (or whatever the equivalent is) pads with them and the brakes feel much improved, however I hasten to add that I try not to use the brakes unless I have to, I try to practice engine breaking as much as possible, that and carrying the speed through the corner so I can limit excessive acceleration ;)

....much less than in my 3-Series BMW, for instance....
Just noticed your sig line Mike, it's quite spooky.... :wtf:

I too too have an early 80 (1992), EFS suspension, Maggiolina Safari roof tent, a BMW 335d but a slightly different bike, a 2014 BMW 1200GS Adventure with a full Akrapovic system.... great minds eh :thumbup:

Last edited:
Just be careful the screws that keep the flap 'stays' to the body don't work loose....ask me how I know!

Oh dear...much damage?! Hopefully whatever happened did so when stationery!!

I fitted DBA discs to the front of mine and I use Mintex MDB1695 (or whatever the equivalent is) pads with them and the brakes feel much improved, however I hasten to add that I try not to use the brakes unless I have to, I try to practice engine breaking as much as possible, that and carrying the speed through the corner so I can limit excessive acceleration ;)

Thanks Julian! I use the same driving technique, I tend to roll off the throttle approaching bends (rather than braking heavily) and then gently power through to settle the car, minimise "wallowing" etc. But if you're travelling at motorway speeds and have to brake hard (typically because of someone else's stupidty!) then you really notice the lack of stopping power provided by a 22 year old braking system slowing a 3 tonne car!! :wtf:

Just noticed your sig line Mike, it's quite spooky.... :wtf:

I too too have an early 80 (1992), EFS suspension, Maggiolina Safari roof tent, a BMW 335d but a slightly different bike, a 2014 BMW 1200GS Adventure with a full Akrapovic system.... great minds eh :thumbup:

Haha, that is a little spooky - nice fleet, mind! :D Got a pic of your car with the rooftent fitted? I love the 335D, mine's a Touring which I don't really need anymore now I have the 80, but I'm yet to find a suitable replacement! So it will be getting remapped shortly, because you can never have too much power. I'm selling the Multistrada at the moment, use the Tiger 800 XCx most of the time now so will replace the Mutli with an out-and-out sportsbike for trackdays and the odd weekend blast! :)

Haha, that is a little spooky - nice fleet, mind! :D Got a pic of your car with the rooftent fitted? I love the 335D, mine's a Touring which I don't really need anymore now I have the 80, but I'm yet to find a suitable replacement! So it will be getting remapped shortly, because you can never have too much power. I'm selling the Multistrada at the moment, use the Tiger 800 XCx most of the time now so will replace the Mutli with an out-and-out sportsbike for trackdays and the odd weekend blast! :)
Fitted the roof tent in March 2014 but ended up not doing my normal Morocco trip last year, so it has never been used once. Took it off for the winter so as yet no photos of it mounted, hopefully that will change this September when we head off to Morocco once again.

Yes the 335d is an awesome beast. My saloon (also a 57 plate) has been remapped and now produces 350bhp with 700nm torque. With a top speed of 185mph now it is faster than any bike I have ever ridden. Be warned, if you have an extended warenty like I did, they will refuse to pay out on ANYTHING engine related. I have been paying about £650 a year for a comprehensive warranty, but recently the small turbo valve went. Even though it is a common fault on these engines, they refused to pay out on the £625 repair bill :cry: so I cancelled the warranty the same day.

The GS does me for pretty much everything I want it to do, so I'm happy with it.

Apologies for the slightly off topic tangent we seem to have gone off in here.

Fitted the roof tent in March 2014 but ended up not doing my normal Morocco trip last year, so it has never been used once. Took it off for the winter so as yet no photos of it mounted, hopefully that will change this September when we head off to Morocco once again.

Yes the 335d is an awesome beast. My saloon (also a 57 plate) has been remapped and now produces 350bhp with 700nm torque. With a top speed of 185mph now it is faster than any bike I have ever ridden. Be warned, if you have an extended warenty like I did, they will refuse to pay out on ANYTHING engine related. I have been paying about £650 a year for a comprehensive warranty, but recently the small turbo valve went. Even though it is a common fault on these engines, they refused to pay out on the £625 repair bill :cry: so I cancelled the warranty the same day.

The GS does me for pretty much everything I want it to do, so I'm happy with it.

Apologies for the slightly off topic tangent we seem to have gone off in here.

Haha, it's my thread so we can go off on tangents if we wish! :) Interesting that you have remapped yours already! Would you recommend it?? I don't have an extended warranty to worry about. Which remap did you go for? I was looking at Simon @ EMAPS, who has done a few cars for me and my brother previously...

Slight off topic but was it the bmw extended warranty? We have a protocol for tuned vehicles, basically innocent until proven guilty kind of thing, always deny any knowledge of it being tuned lol. Have to Find physical proof of it, plug in devices, evidence of the DDE being tampered etc. We've fitted engines to cars that have been tuned, they get programmed at the same time back to a standard map :lol:
Even when we prove it's tuned we can't prove it's caused the failure though (only on a rare occasion depending on the fault) it's a grey area for us and I've only denied warranty twice.
Our diagnosis system tells us if a car is tuned.

Oh dear...much damage?! Hopefully whatever happened did so when stationery!!

No real damage. I was kneeling on the tailgate reaching in for something, both of the screws came out at the same time, the tailgate dropped and I fell forward, nearly face butted the tool box!

The screws went straight back in so they must have been working their way out over time, no way was it my sylph like figure, because I am very careful watching my weight.

regards

Pinocchio

.... Interesting that you have remapped yours already! Would you recommend it?? I don't have an extended warranty to worry about. Which remap did you go for? I was looking at Simon @ EMAPS, who has done a few cars for me and my brother previously...
Yes it was a remap done by Simon at EMaps. My335d was already remapped when I bought it, so I have nothing to compare it with.

On a run it still returns 47mpg, but averages around 32mpg for general use. But when the foot goes to the floor it turns into an animal.

Slight off topic but was it the bmw extended warranty? We have a protocol for tuned vehicles, basically innocent until proven guilty kind of thing, always deny any knowledge of it being tuned lol. Have to Find physical proof of it, plug in devices, evidence of the DDE being tampered etc. We've fitted engines to cars that have been tuned, they get programmed at the same time back to a standard map :lol:
Even when we prove it's tuned we can't prove it's caused the failure though (only on a rare occasion depending on the fault) it's a grey area for us and I've only denied warranty twice.
Our diagnosis system tells us if a car is tuned.
Yes it was a BMW extended warranty.

When mine went in for the turbo valve the dealer said, "there might be a problem as our computer is saying it has a modified engine". I asked them what they ment by this and they could not expand on it. I denied any knowledge of any such modification so they said they would contact the warranty company and see what their response was..... Sure enough they refused to pay up.

Being a remap there is obviously no physical evidence of a remap, so I can only assume that plugging their diagnostic computer into the ODBC port made them aware of it.

My main annoyance with this is the fact that the failed turbo valve is a common problem on these engines, so the remap would not have been the cause.

Last edited:
They're within their rights to say no tbh, personally I'd have done under warranty, if I couldn't say beyond reasonable doubt that it caused the failure it's warranty imo.
I had a 120d that destroyed itself, main bearing shell was sticking out from behind the front pulley and it was a mess in there. It was re mapped but got engine under warranty and programmed back to stock. Had technical involved and they even said can't prove that map caused it.
Like I said it can be a grey area and some dealers won't touch them under warranty but some use common sense.

Erm mine is re mapped :whistle:

Back