Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fox Slinky install... Finally begins!!

So far the shocks are good. The truck has remarkably little body roll considering I have removed the front sway bar. My only complaint is that small bumps tend to be a bit harsh.

I have now set myself up so I can rebuild and recharge these shocks with nitrogen so I am going to be revalving them in the new year by adding in a "flutter" shim and essentially changing the compression shim stacks in the shock to flutter stacks.

The idea behind this is it will allow the initial stroke of the shaft to have less compression damping but as the shaft speed increases the valving goes back to being progressive and proportional to the shaft speed.

I have been reading up a fair bit on shock valving and it gets fairly technical so I can post up in detail what I have learnt and how the valving works if folk are interested.

I have heard rumours I'll be getting a GoPro for Christmas so what I want to do is film the shock working prior to the revavle and again afterwards and compare the differences. It should make for some interesting tinkering.

Initial compression available prior to installing the spacers was 90mm & 100mm at the rear wheels and a bit more at the front. The exact figures are posted earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The idea behind this is it will allow the initial stroke of the shaft to have less compression damping but as the shaft speed increases the valving goes back to being progressive and proportional to the shaft speed.

Oo-er, missus ;) :lol:

Gesiende kersfees vir julle Ryan - hopelik sal just dit geniet ;)

So far the shocks are good. The truck has remarkably little body roll considering I have removed the front sway bar. My only complaint is that small bumps tend to be a bit harsh.

I have now set myself up so I can rebuild and recharge these shocks with nitrogen so I am going to be revalving them in the new year by adding in a "flutter" shim and essentially changing the compression shim stacks in the shock to flutter stacks.

I have been reading up a fair bit on shock valving and it gets fairly technical so I can post up in detail what I have learnt and how the valving works if folk are interested.

I have heard rumours I'll be getting a GoPro for Christmas so what I want to do is film the shock working prior to the revavle and again afterwards and compare the differences. It should make for some interesting tinkering.

Initial compression available prior to installing the spacers was 90mm & 100mm at the rear wheels and a bit more at the front. The exact figures are posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember what the compressed and extended length of the fox shocks were.

And when you were getting these flexi coils what lengths shocks were you told you needed.

Also would it be possible for you to take some measurements of the shocks for me.

Could you get the following measurements if possible for front and rear

1. From top mount to bottom mount
2. From top mount to bottom of body
3. From bottom of body to bottom mount.

Thanks

Extended: 30.19"
Compressed: 18.19"

When I bought the coils I wasn't told what length shocks to order. It seems to be a bit of a secret that the guys that I bought the coils from want to keep. That is however another story... I have subsequently found out that the shocks supplied with the slinky kit are not remote resi and come in a couple of inches shorter than mine. Though I think the non remote resi versions of these would not be enough shock for an 80.

In hindsight the 12" RR are too long, hence I ended up putting spacers in. Though in saying that the 10" RR are 4"s shorter and would have been too short. If I had gone for those I would be sitting in the region of 8" compression/ 2" droop on the rear which would nullify the point of the flexi coils.

I would say to anyone looking to go the fox / flexi coil route to speak to the guys at suspension stuff in Oz. turns out they do the flexi coils for 80's too and offer the from 3" lift to 6" lift. Prices quoted to me with shipping were actually better than what I paid.
http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4183

Also would it be possible for you to take some measurements of the shocks for me.

Could you get the following measurements if possible for front and rear

1. From top mount to bottom mount
2. From top mount to bottom of body
3. From bottom of body to bottom mount.

Thanks

I'll only be able to get these figures to you in the new year. At work all day today and setting off on holiday tomorrow until the 2nd jan. sorry .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I haven't started yet. I leant my nitrogen fill kit to Olazz so he could charge his shocks when you arrived in South Africa. When he gets back I'll get on them and gets the measurements you need.

.... In hindsight the 12" RR are too long, hence I ended up putting spacers in. Though in saying that the 10" RR are 4"s shorter....
Sorry if this is going to sound dumb but.... how come the 10" Fox's are 4" shorter than the 12" :think:

When I first had my 80 she looked like this.

i-64dCszM-M.jpg

I have no idea what the coils were but the shocks were Rancho 9000. There were 75mm spacers above each spring and 75mm spacers dropping the bump stops, the castor correction was done via these Yellow contraptions.

i-jKn2Mkx-M.jpg

The trouble was, she handled like a pig on stilts even with adjustable panhard rods. She pulled to the left when accelerating and to the right when breaking hard, I have a feeling this vagueness was down to the front shocks being a bit tired. So the 3" spacers were removed the Rancho's were replaced with OME jobbies. She now handles fine but I'm liking what I hear about the Fox shocks.

Sorry for side tracking there I just wanted to fill in the background.

I now want to go down the Fox and possibly Slinky root but want to get it right first time if possible.... I have spoken to Olazz and read through this thread so, would I be right in thinking if I go with the same set up as you (Ryan) and put back in the 75mm spacers, that would be somewhere near right.... or have I missed something?

Hi Ryan

I'm a fine one to talk as I've lost all my free lives but your piles of bricks look a bit dangerous :shock:. They glue them together usually so they don't fall down.

Frank

Looks good but the tyres are too small now. Sell me the BFGs cheap so you can buy some bigger rubber :icon-wink:

Hey Bat21,

I am not entirely sure why there is a 4" difference between the 12" and 10" versions. It might be that they manufacture the bodies to do more than length of shock. I have had min apart and there is an Ali bushing on the shaft in the body that is locked in by a circlip that is about 2" long...
c3629451f9f6e67df6fd1ee9f92f3fc4_zps1ba25637.jpg
12" P/N: 980-24-637' 10" P/N: 980-24-636

If you wanted to the 12" fox/ slinky setup route I wouldn't bother with the slinkies and spacers. If you want around 5" to 6" (3" slinky plus 75mm spacer) lift then you could buy a very similar coil from suspension stuff http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1980_26_51_120&products_id=4185
in oz in 3" to 5" lifts. The 5" coils with 12" fox's are a good match from what I have read and from the measurements I have taken from my truck I would agree that this would have been a better route to go. So much so that I will more than likely be selling my slinkies in the near future. I figure better that than trying to raise shock mounts our running more spacers...

Cost with shipping from Oz would have been the same as what I paid for the slinkies here. I only found this out afterwards otherwise I would have gone this route.

All in all if I did the 3" setup again I would probably go for the 10" versions and drop the shock mounts. I figure this would be far simpler than raising them. But as bigger tyres are in my future a bit more height wouldn't go amiss.

The shocks are really something else and I would highly recommend them.

Last edited:
Frank, the bricks are dodgy, very dodgy. I really need to invest in longer stands! That's the one pain about the flexi coils, to get them out you have to drop the axle as much as you can. I have resorted to coil compressors but its still a pain.

Ryan if you do sell your slinkies I may well be interested. I'd just have to check they'd be okay with my OME 2.5 setup and the weight I carry.

Hey Lorin,

Weight wise they should be fine. They are rated for a fully built 80. not sure what that means in terms of weight but i could always ask julian. Only thing is that with the OME shocks you have they wouldn't really be put to their full benefit...

Back